The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for the opportunity of Senior Account Executive will have ten or more years of consultative sales experience, preferably in data colocation, telecom, Software as a Service (SaaS), or a similar, transferable field. You should also be familiar with the local area.
At a minimum you will have:
- A bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university and at least four years of related experience and/or training (preferred).
- In lieu of a BA/BS degree, you must have eight or more years of related experience to qualify for this role.
- The proven ability to negotiate and close transactions.
- Outstanding account management skills.
- The ability to effectively present value propositions for product sets, independent of pricing.
- The skill to discuss and design data center / colocation concepts.
- The ability to cold-call and generate meaningful opportunities.
- Polished presentation skills and the ability to respond to questions from groups of customers, managers and the general public.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and public speaking skills.
- A high level of commitment to customer service.
- A teamwork orientation and the ability to work with internal operations, finance and management.
- An understanding of basic lease terms.
- Advanced MS Word, PowerPoint and salesforce.com or similar CRM experience.
- Proficiency with MS Excel including the ability to perform basic financial analysis of deal economics. You should be able to discern “good” deals from “bad” deals based upon management-provided financial guidelines.
- The ability to create, format and proof professional proposals, presentations and other customer facing documentation.
- Analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to analyze and solve problems involving several options with limited information.
- The skill to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form and to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, a proactive approach and openness to new ideas and procedures.
The RoleAs Senior Account Manager, Colocation, you will report to the Sales Manager and be responsible for leasing colocation space within select Digital Realty properties with a colocation offereing. You’ll work our wide Santa Clara or San Francisco territory. These are prime locations not just because of the business opportunities, but because of the real estate we already own in the territories. You will be incented to sell into properties within your territory.
You will focus exclusively on colocation sales and build a strong book of business from the ground up. You may gain a few current accounts, but the majority of your business will be self-generated. Though you’ll have a team behind you, including exceptional Sales Support Engineers, you will be responsible for all aspects of the selling process including: cold calling, face-to-face meetings, networking, presentations, proposal creation, and closing business. You will coordinate all facets of the customer experience including interactions between customers, operations, property managers, chief engineers and datacenter engineers, with the intention of closing sales, generating significant income and supporting ongoing relationships.
To be a successful Senior Account Manager, Colocation you should have the ability to:
- Regularly cold-call colocation prospects who could benefit from Digital Realty solutions.
- Respond in a timely manner to all inbound leads. Leads can come as direct referrals and through industry-specific channels such as brokers, consultants, telecom and systems integrators.
- Clearly articulate the value proposition of Digital Realty colocation products, while differentiating product offerings from those of our competitors.
- Develop proposals and the associated preparation / presentation of literature.
- Regularly interact with the Asset and Property team regarding colocation property.
- Negotiate deals and contract business terms and conditions with customers, staying in line with the parameters provided by Digital Realty management.
- Present basic engineering principles in relation to power and cooling.
- Plan preliminary design, presentation and evaluation of customer colocation solutions including capital budgeting, operational detail and scheduling of proposed projects.
- Understand and use the vernacular of real estate and technology.
- Clearly present deal business terms and operational considerations to management.
- Regularly report and forecast your sales activities to management through our CRM software.
- Attend major industry trade shows and functions as determined by management.
Pictured: Data Center at 1100 Space Park Drive, Santa Clara, California. One of several centers located in the Silicon Valley.
Why Digital RealtyThe world's largest wholesale data center provider -- the world has changed. We’re all embedded in the digital age and companies have had to adjust the way they do business -- how they use their information, protect their data, plan disaster recovery and more. At Digital Realty, we specialize in the solutions needed for today’s businesses. We've seen exponential growth as we’ve expanded our footprint by building data centers throughout the country and across the globe.
Hot product -- Digital Realty offers an array of solutions from custom scalable design, to disaster recovery, to colocation. Our Colocation Services program offers flexibility backed by capacity, reliability, commitment to customer service, and the expertise of a global data center expert. Our modular rack design allows for scalability from a single rack to a multi-rack system to a private cage, allowing our clients to match their data center requirements precisely with their evolving business needs. As part of our Colocation Services program, we will install high density cabinets that are equipped with aisle containment systems that segregate the cold air feed and hot air return in order to optimize the operating environment, while maximizing energy and cost efficiencies.
Lucrative career -- if you're a strong, personable sales professional who loves to sell, enjoys helping clients, and who won't settle for less than a six figure annual income, this is your opportunity. We've closed business deals worth thousands and multi-millions, helping companies of all sizes. You'll leverage our reputation, strong financials, top-tier offerings, and your own expertise to pursue and land business. You'll have all the tools you need to build a strong career where, through your efforts, you'll decide how large those six figures will be.
Stable profile -- our uncommonly strong balance sheet, investment-grade debt ratings and the ability to borrow in multiple currencies provide a global footprint for our customers and risk-reducing diversification for us. That puts us in an excellent position to grow the company, provide financing options for our customers, and continually invest in our properties.
Green standard for sustainability -- we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices (pictured). Not only do we build to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements, but we also are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, including being a contributing member of The Green Grid.
Excellent compensation -- in addition strong compensation, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision plans; flexible spending plans for multiple purposes; a health savings account; a 401(k) plan with company match and much more.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you will be an assertive, self-driven and seasoned sales professional capable of delivering exceptional service and guiding your clients toward the best solution for their business needs. You’ll build relationships and nurture what can be a long sales cycle, but when it’s time for your client to sign the SLA, you’ll also be a tough negotiator who can deliver significant revenue for Digital Realty and yourself.
While you’ll need the technical prowess to learn the business and talk the talk, you’ll also need exceptional communication skills and a strong sense of teamwork. You’ll interact with C-level executives and other decision makers, and work alongside a talented and specialized team of internal experts and support personnel. You’ll find that relationship building both externally and internally will help you reach success.
A strong learning acumen and desire for knowledge gain are essential. This isn’t a product where you can fake your way through a presentation. You can leverage the help of tech support on your calls, but you must also have a deep foundation of knowledge. Your supervisor and others will help you with knowledge gain, but you’ll need high expectations and the ability to apply yourself. Once you have the tools for success, your supervisor will expect that you're a professional that doesn't need constant supervision. You'll have a face-to-face weekly meetings and he will be available as needed, however, you'll enjoy the autonomy to do your job and build your business.
About UsSince the Company's initial public offering in November 2004, Digital Realty has been a fast-growing leader in the design, development and operation of data centers worldwide. We focus on delivering customer driven data center solutions by providing secure, reliable and cost effective facilities that meet each customer's unique data center needs. Our customers include leading media, financial services, communications and technology-based businesses. Our portfolio is located in 32 markets around the world and consists of more than 100 properties, totaling over 21 million square feet.
Digital Realty's portfolio is located in more than 30 markets across nine countries throughout North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong. Our global presence is supported by local experts in the markets we serve. And we stand out in the marketplace by offering innovative solutions driven by customers who see data centers not just as a technical investment, but also as a strategic platform for success.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
Pictured: Our new HQ location at Four Embarcadero Center, San Francisco is near BART, Muni, the Ferry Building and other commuting options.