The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Power Design Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years of experience in telecommunications and/or data center or colocation environments; if you come from telecommunications you must have knowledge of/familiarity with data center operations
- Experience supporting a 24/7/365 mission critical operations center--either in a consulting / commissioning capacity or internally
- At least 3 years of experience working as an electrical engineer
- Proficiency in network and data technologies to collect data from electrical systems preferred (e.g. Modbus TCP/IP, TCP/IP troubleshooting, SQL queries)
- Excellent AutoCAD skills required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) or equivalent
- A strong technical background
- LEED certification and/or data center related certifications a plus
- Demonstrated leadership and influencing skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- A professional approach to working with teams and customers
- The ability to effectively resolve customer problems/issues
- Strong planning, organization and prioritization skills; strict attention to detail
- The disposition to work independently and as a contributing member of a team
- Intellectual curiosity; adaptable learning ability
- Flexibility with the ability to thrive in a growing and changing environment
The RoleReporting to the Director of Energy Management, as Power Design Engineer, you will be responsible for engineering customer power circuits, reporting and managing power distribution capacity across a growing site list, currently including almost two dozen domestic sites, and their AC and DC power conditioned systems. You’ll serve a key role on a small six person Energy Management team responsible for circuit design and capacity and energy management for every project across all the sites. Our team is highly collaborative and driven, and we like to think that we operate much like the elite Navy SEAL teams. Your high-reaching mission will be to create power solutions that meet customer needs, satisfy business requirements and provide optimal efficiency. As part of the fast growing and high transaction Colocation Business Model, you will be a key contributor to improve day to day internal processes.
Your work will fall into two key areas:
- Supporting other engineers and engineering teams with A/C and D/C electrical circuit designs for customer implementation, including capacity management and specific electrical designs to meet each customer’s unique needs. This is time sensitive project work which takes place after the colocation sale.
- Working closely with Sales Engineers, serving as SME. You might step up as part of the pre-sale process, providing potential design solutions to specific requirements. You’ll typically get involved with projects whose solutions fall outside of standard designs.
Specific tasks will include:
- Generating Power circuit design work orders and providing RPP/BDCBB assignments to operations technicians for installations
- Tracking all Telx Power Circuit Work Orders from creation to execution by the Operations Team
- Being responsible for data acquisition validation from all power systems
- Traveling to Telx field sites to perform power circuit facility audits
- Accurately designing the most optimal power circuit based upon the projected kw usage and existing capacity available at the respective UPS/RPP and/or DC plant/BDCBB
- Interfacing with Sales Engineers and customers to resolve Power Work Order issues; Power Work Orders require accurate documentation of instructions and circuit designs to ensure timely completion of work
- Overseeing distribution capacity for AC and DC power; capacity is managed by KW and branch circuit pole availability
- Assisting in the turn up of new distribution systems RPP/PDU/BDCBB/BDFB to ensure documentation is accurate across software platforms and engineering files
- Updating Engineering Team and other teams when more power distribution is needed
- Verifying customer-specific terms and apply them to The Telx Group suite of products
- Updating Engineering Construction Package templates and Method of Procedures (MOP) for all AC and DC power installs and power augments
- Taking responsibility for phase balancing and calculating power cable gauge based on voltage drop
- Creating and maintaining monthly/quarterly reports on power capacity for all sites including commercial power, generator power, UPS power and DC power
- Generating Request for Outage (RFO) reports to be distributed to customers in the event of an outage related to power
Why Digital RealtyInteresting, Impactful Work
No two days will be the same and you'll find yourself involved in a wide range of projects made interesting by their mix of business and engineering requirements. You'll be able to stretch professionally, add to your skill set, and in our tight-knit entrepreneurial environment, share your strong ideas. This is a role where you can spotlight your talent and make an impact.
We know you'll come in with solid experience and a track record of success. At the same time, it's highly likely that you'll be learning new things and getting involved in unique projects requiring creative solutions. You'll gain greater knowledge of the data center space, and ad wide experience to your resume. In addition, we are dedicated to remaining on the leading edge of technology, so you will learn new systems, tools and processes right along with us.
Grow with the Team
You'll begin working across 21 properties, and could potentially work with more than 130. We're growing rapidly and you'll be in a prime position to grow along with us, taking on expanding responsibilities and new challenges. Depending upon your goals and ambition, you might also pursue other roles within the company.
You'll work directly with the Director of Energy Management as you take ownership of dozens of projects. You'll enjoy the autonomy to own your responsibilities and reach your goals, but also enjoy weekly touch points as well as strong support.
We are a collaborative, people-focused group dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support. We strive to promote a friendly, fun and open work environment, and our dedication to this is reflected in the tenure of our employees. People like it here and tend to stay.
The "Best of Both Worlds"
While you'll be working for a successful global company with 1400 employees and growing, you'll also enjoy working on a small, tight-knit, high-impact team in our New York, State Street location. Your hard work will be visible throughout the organization, and our extensive offering of services and solutions and proven track record of growth; stability and industry-leading innovation give you the resources and tools you need to take your career to the next level.
Exciting Time to Join Us
With the acquisition of Telx, Digital Realty adds robust colocation, strategic network dense connectivity, a vast and open partner ecosystem and unmatched freedom of choice to one of the world's largest data center footprints.
Our uncommonly strong balance sheet, investment-grade debt ratings and the ability to borrow in multiple currencies provide a global footprint for our customers and risk-reducing diversification for us. That puts us in an excellent position to grow the company, provide financing options for our customers, and continually invest in our properties.
Green Standard for Sustainability
We are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices. Not only do we build to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements, but we also are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, including being a contributing member of The Green Grid.
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision plans; flexible spending plans for multiple purposes; a health savings account; a 401(k) plan with company match and much more.
Video: each data center campus is different, but this virtual tour of Digital Ashburn, in Virginia, will give you and idea of the various systems, services and amenities that make Digital Realty the data center provider of choice worldwide. Located just west of Washington DC, Digital Ashburn includes 2 million square feet of data center space.
Keys to SuccessSuccess in this role will require the breadth of your technical skills, but in order to excel, you’ll also bring outstanding interpersonal abilities and a team-centered approach to the table. It will be important to leverage your strong customer service skills both internally and externally. While you will serve as an SME and critical team member, you’ll also bring your independent nature to the role and proactively take ownership of your responsibilities. On such a small team it is essential that we all effectively carry our workload, but also help others as needed. Sales will rely on your skill, as will other internal stakeholders.
Additionally, to be successful you will:
- Take a positive, upbeat approach to your work -- you will find great attitudes here
- Have a sense of urgency, completing projects on deadline
- Exhibit a strong work ethic, including a commitment to consistently producing quality work
- Look for process improvements, sometimes building processes where they might not exist
- Remain flexible and adaptable; open to learning and new ways of doing things
- Learn and understand our unique business model and daily operations
- Comply with all emergency, safety and security procedures to ensure an optimal work environment
About Digital RealtyGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.