RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Data Center Facility Manager opportunity, you will have:
- 6+ years of engineering experience managing critical facilities, preferably data centers, including experience managing large facilities with multiple buildings and/or locations.
- A bachelor's (preferably) or associates degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience; mechanical or electrical engineering certification/qualifications are a plus
- Experience with at least three of the four following areas (we'll help you learn what you don't already know):
- Managing people, projects, budgets and functional areas, including knowledge of performance management, teambuilding and critical awareness methods
- Electrical and/or mechanical engineering in critical facilities and construction, commissioning, acceptance and operation of mission critical systems, including systems operations of HVAC package units, chillers, towers, pumps, etc.; mechanical equipment, generators, PDUs, UPS, static switches and ATSs; and N+ electrical power environments
- Networking in critical facilities, including basic familiarity with structured cabling systems, networking and connectivity standards, and hardware installation requirements
- Facility security, including access control and video monitoring
- Excellent computer skills, including:
- The ability to effectively create and use spreadsheets, reports, project management programs, preventive maintenance programs
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with computerized maintenance management systems (CMMSs), building management systems (BMSs), data center infrastructure management (DCIM) and power metering systems
- The ability to read and analyze Architectural, Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing drawings
- The ability to develop and maintain knowledge of all applicable rules, laws, codes, regulations and ordinances associated with data center construction, environmental and operations
- Comprehensive understanding and application of Reliability Engineering principles
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain positive customer-service oriented relationships with other team members, customers, owners, property management, contractors and vendors
- Organizational savvy and the ability to navigate within a complex corporation
- Effective written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to:
- Comprehend and interpret instructions, short correspondence, and memos and ask clarifying questions to ensure understanding
- Write routine reports and correspondence
- Respond to common inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, and/or supervisor
- Present information effectively to internal groups
- Strong teambuilding and organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Effective troubleshooting and analytical skills, and the ability to manage complex and high-risk projects
- The ability to manage and solve multiple, simultaneous problems involving several options in high profile situations
- Intermediate analytical and quantitative skills
Role OverviewNote: this is a high level overview of the role. To take a deeper dive into the details, see the Role Specifics tab.
Reporting to the Regional Operations Manager, you will collaborate with another Data Center Manager (DCM) in managing technical operations at a campus that includes eight+ buildings. You will help oversee a reporting staff that includes two Chief Engineers, seven Networking Supervisors, and a Security Manager.
Along with the other DCM, you will assume responsibility for data center operations, including:
- Engineering operations and core infrastructure maintenance
- Data center construction management, commissioning and start-up
- Delivery of data center services including colocation, connectivity, raised floor services and deployment
- Installation and management of all cable and network infrastructure supporting facility and customer connectivity
- Technical event management including post-event root cause analysis and infrastructure repair
- 7 x 24 security operations
Your essential responsibilities will include:
- Dedicating complete focus, attention and self-motivation towards continuous improvement of all phases of assigned operations
- Adhering to Digital Realty Data Center and TechOps / Property Management Standard Operating / Safety Procedures and ensuring compliance by vendors, customers, and other parties
- Maintaining positive communication with customers, owners, property management, contractors and vendors
- Assisting in the development of operating and capital budgets
- Providing overall management and coordination to emergency situations to include addressing customer concerns in a timely manner to eliminate and/or minimize possible downtime and inconvenience to Digital Realty customers
- Ensuring compliance with applicable codes (OSHA, NFPA, NEC, ASHRAE and others as applicable), government agencies, company directives and industry best practices as related to building equipment upgrades, retrofits, build-outs, maintenance, networking and security operations
- Overseeing and ensure quality of customer service
Role SpecificsNote: this is a detailed description of the role. To get the 30,000 foot view, see the Role Overview tab.
As Data Center Facility Manager, you'll divide your efforts among three key areas. In the area of facilities engineering, you will:
- Supervise daily operations of all Mechanical and Electrical infrastructure to ensure 100% uptime
- Oversee all site, building systems, critical facilities equipment, and other equipment at multiple assigned buildings associated with the raised floor environment including but not limited to the following: electrical distribution, mechanical systems, plumbing, fire life safety systems, building systems, etc.
- Perform periodic overview inspections of building UPS, battery systems, HVAC systems, generator systems, electrical switchgear, power logic controllers, fire protection systems, automatic transfer switches, and static transfer switches for multiple assigned buildings
- Ensure all customer demands are met, including remote hands support, racking and stacking of network devices, cabling, cross connects, security, power and cooling infrastructures
- Manage and coordinate work flow between and among Engineering, contractors and Project Management to ensure all installations meet delivery dates and create a positive customer experience
- Ensure timeliness and quality of all installations and service activations for customers, including cage and cabinet builds, power, cross connects, and supporting internal/customer infrastructure
- Oversee Remote Hands services, which are tracked through Tech Support Tickets (TST). This includes, but is not limited to, the following services:
- Equipment rack and stack
- Cabling, terminations, and dressing fiber or copper network cabling
- Assisting with the diagnosis of hardware and software
- Power cycling of customer equipment
- Performing cabinet/cage audits
- Blade/card, memory, hard drive, and transceiver installations or removal
- Testing and troubleshooting of copper and fiber optic circuits
- Performing migrations of equipment, power, or networking devices
- Shipping and receiving of packages
- Oversee the receipt, installation and testing of customer and internal cross connects of copper and fiber optic interconnections
- Monitor the data center's mission critical infrastructure and network by utilizing EPMS, Fieldview, Aperture and FNT.
- Oversee and perform infrastructure builds, including cages, cabinets, relay racks, ladder racking and basket tray, and fiber trough
- Oversee DC power installations per Facility Engineering design specifications
- Oversee the maintenance and overall data center cleanliness and appearance
- Supervise Security staff and oversee the proper operation of the building access control and monitoring Systems
- Provide and oversee timely customer and internal updates using a computer based ticketing system
Why Digital RealtyHigh profile impact
You will ensure performance and service that exceeds customer expectations and help us maintain our "five 9s" (99.999%) uptime track record. As you might imagine, given that this is Silicon Valley, reliability and service excellence are a point of pride, and your contributions to that commitment will be noticed.
We know you'll come in with solid experience and a track record of success. At the same time, it's highly likely that you'll be learning new things and getting involved in activities and projects that you haven't been involved in before. In addition, we are dedicated to remaining on the leading edge of technology, so you will learn new systems, tools and processes right along with us.
This position can provide you will challenges and opportunities for years to come. Here at the Santa Clara Campus, we put up an average of one new building a year, and your responsibilities will expand with that growth. In addition, depending on your performance and ambition, you might leverage your success in this role to pursue other opportunities within the company. Some opportunities may require relocation.
We are a collaborative, people-focused group dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support. We strive to promote a friendly, fun and open work environment, and our dedication to this is reflected in the tenure of our employees.
The "best of both worlds"
You'll find that working for our company may be a little bit different. We are small enough, with only 1400 employees across our global portfolio, that your hard work will be visible throughout the organization, yet our extensive offering of services and solutions and proven track record of growth; stability and industry-leading innovation give you the resources and tools you need to take your career to the next level.
Our uncommonly strong balance sheet, investment-grade debt ratings and the ability to borrow in multiple currencies provide a global footprint for our customers and risk-reducing diversification for us. That puts us in an excellent position to grow the company, provide financing options for our customers, and continually invest in our properties.
Green standard for sustainability
We are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices. Not only do we build to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements, but we also are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, including being a contributing member of The Green Grid.
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision plans; flexible spending plans for multiple purposes; a health savings account; a 401(k) plan with company match and much more.
Video: each data center campus is different, but this virtual tour of Digital Ashburn, in Virginia, will give you and idea of the various systems, services and amenities that make Digital Realty the data center provider of choice worldwide. Located just west of Washington DC, Digital Ashburn includes 2 million square feet of data center space. You'll be based in our Santa Clara campus, which offers 300,000 square feet of data center space.
Keys to SuccessYour technical knowledge will be essential, but just as important will be your management and leadership skills. There may be occasions in which you get hands on, such as to ensure timely resolution of an issue, but most of your time will go to scheduling staff, coordinating among multiple internal and external stakeholder, managing projects, teambuilding, overseeing budgets and expenses, etc. In short, you'll need to be able to deliver results on a consistent basis.
The pace is fast and there is always lots going on, so you'll depend heavily on your organizational and prioritization skills. You'll also need a collaborative approach and exceptional communication and relationship building skills; in addition to ensuring that you and the other DCM are always on the same page, you will depend on others to accomplish your goals. You'll also need to be adept at understanding and working within the political dynamics of the organization.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Data Center Facility Manager, you will achieve the five 9s of availability for all data center operations, including 100% compliance with:
- All customer SLAs
- All capacity and inventory management requirements
- All standard operating procedures
- Internal escalation protocols for all customers impacting events pursuant to Digital Realty's escalation standards
- All health and safety standards and electrical and building codes
- Digital Realty's critical stock and parts standards
- Digital Realty's internal quality assurance and assessment programs as well as the various accreditation initiatives undertaken by Digital Realty, including, but not limited to, SSAE16, SOC2, ISO 27001, etc.
About Digital RealtyGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
With the acquisition of Telx in October 2015, Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. At the same time, we can now connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.