The RequirementsThis could be an excellent opportunity for an experienced Tax Senior or Tax Supervisor to move up into the manager level. To be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance.
- At least five years of tax / accounting experience, including public accounting.
- Solid experience with and knowledge of corporate and flow-through taxation.
- A high degree of comfort working with details.
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with MS Windows, Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities and solid organizational skills.
- Solid organizational skills and good attention to detail.
- The ability to achieve goals independently as well as to contribute as a team player.
- Real estate investment trust (REIT) and real estate tax experience.
- An active CPA.
- A master's in Taxation.
- Big Four experience.
The RoleReporting to the Vice President of Tax, you will join a team that also includes the Senior Vice President, a Tax Director and an Administrative Assistant. On occasion, you may interact with our international tax team, based in Ireland and Singapore, which includes a Vice President, Director and Manager.
Your activities will include a mix of all those listed below, although you'll typically invest the largest portion of your time in REIT compliance, general tax compliance, and tax basis schedules. We'll bring you up to speed on both REIT and general tax compliance, with the objective that you will soon manage the outsourced processes and relationships in both areas. Additionally, we are transitioning our tax depreciation processes to Yardi, a real estate industry solution, and you will support that transition.
Depending on your background, things may be a little different here. Our busy cycles are driven more by quarter-end than by tax deadlines, as we outsource tax compliance. In addition, you will have occasion to act as a consultant to different departments, researching tax implications for various initiatives.
More specifically, you will:
- Coordinate with and manage our outside tax preparer to gather information requested in processing tax compliance to ensure timely and accurate tax return filings and payments with all appropriate US agencies.
- Work closely with accounting to understand financial statement reporting for separate legal entities, including regular review of accounting system and financial statement information to ensure integrity of the reports for all Digital Realty (DLR) tax entities.
- Understand, manage and perform quarterly / annual REIT compliance tests to ensure that DLR maintains its REIT status, including assistance with preparation of projections to monitor distribution requirements.
- Coordinate with external REIT counsel to complete REIT due diligence as needed.
- Assist with preparation of quarterly tax provisions for corporate taxable REIT subsidiaries and foreign subsidiaries to ensure adequate tax reserves have been established.
- Coordinate the calculation of withholding taxes on quarterly distributions from DLR partnerships in compliance with regulatory state withholding requirement.
- Maintain accurate tax depreciation schedules, including updating 704(c) schedule for contributed, or 1031(d) assets with built-in- gains for disposition purpose.
- Work with Legal on tax filings/elections (e.g. TRS and check-the- box election, etc.).
- Coordinate and correspond with taxing authorities in U.S. regarding various notices to ensure accurate regulatory records of all DLR entities.
- Work with Accounting and IT to design tools and reports to improve tax reporting/projection efficiencies.
- Assist team members with ad-hoc analysis as needed.
What's in It for YouSolid impact
Because we are a smaller Tax team, you'll be able to influence tax processes and even policy. The Tax team provides valuable guidance to senior leadership--our calculations and analysis will directly impact acquisitions, dividend policy, and lease structure.
Even if you have a strong real estate background, chances are that the data center side will be new to you. In addition, you'll expand your experience in acting as subject matter consultant. We place a strong emphasis on helping people grow, and are committed to promoting from within whenever possible.
The "best of both worlds"
You'll find that working for our company may be a little bit different. We are small enough, with only 1400 employees across our global portfolio, that your hard work will be visible throughout the organization. Yet our extensive offering of services and solutions, and proven track record of growth, stability and industry-leading innovation, give you the resources and tools you need to take your career to the next level.
Our financial strength and stability provide our customers with the assurance that Digital Realty will be their partner for current data center needs and those in the future, and our investment credit ratings provide us access to paths for more capital. We view each of our customers as a long-term partner.
The Ashburn campus is the flagship for Digital Realty's Eastern properties. The portfolio enjoys a good deal visibility and the property count across the campus continues to grow. It's a great place to learn our company and stretch your skills.
Green standard for sustainability
At Digital Realty we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, as well as, adopting and building to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements. We are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Pictured: While you won't get hands on with the technical assets, you will learn about data center operations, including both the leading-edge telecom/Internet infrastructure (above) and mission critical systems such as cooling (below), power, security and more. Each of our data campuses is part of the largest ecosystem of world-class US, European, and APAC carriers, hosting physical connection points for the world's telecommunications networks and Internet backbones.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will be sharp, perceptive and able to learn quickly. You'll also be self-motivated and demonstrate the initiative to see what needs to be done and then take care of it. The role will require a good deal of attention to details, so you'll need to be more than just willing to dig in -- you should enjoy working through the details. At the same time, you'll need to be able to step back when necessary to consult on bigger-picture issues.
The VP is collaborative and will act as a resource to you. As long as you are achieving results, we'll give you the elbow room you need. Just the same, you should be open to input and feedback. Our culture is entrepreneurial and casual, but we all have a strong sense of urgency. You also will need to be flexible and adaptable as Digital Realty and the Tax Department continue to grow and evolve.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.