The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Director of Data Center Design, Western Region opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university; a professional license (Architect or Engineer) is a plus.
- Solid experience in design and construction of mission-critical facilities, ideally including data centers.
- Proven project management skills, including:
- Experience with technically complex projects.
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to manage multiple internal and external individuals, project teams and vendors seamlessly.
- Knowledge of design and construction terms and principles and contracts.
- The ability to review and analyze budgets and estimates.
- An excellent understanding of advanced electrical, mechanical, security / monitoring, and fire detection/suppression systems as well as standard practices in the design and construction industry.
- Familiarity with basic building code requirements.
- The ability to understand and interpret design drawings, construction drawings, construction specifications, design and construction contracts, project schedules and detailed budgets / estimate summaries.
- Experience with MS Office software; familiarity with AutoCAD is a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- The ability to:
- Work well under pressure and take a proactive approach in responding to unusual occurrences.
- Make effective presentations and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
- Analyze and solve problems involving several options with limited information.
- Achieve goals independently.
- Work with and communicate effectively with many groups and disciplines, including executive management, operations, sales engineering, sales and finance.
- A high level of commitment to customer service, whether co-workers or clients.
- Openness to new ideas and procedures.
The RoleReporting to the Senior Vice President, Global Construction, you will join a team that includes Directors in the Central and Eastern regions. Initially you will work closely with the Director for the Central Region, who will help you get up to speed. In turn, you will provide leadership for a Design Manager as well as external consultants.
You will be responsible for developing and implementing all aspects of the Digital Realty (DLR) Design & Engineering Guidelines / Standards. This will include leading DLR Design Managers in the design of multiple projects throughout the Western United States. You'll provide both strategic and innovative thinking around the design and engineering of DLR's datacenter developments and manage challenging deliverables against aggressive project expectations.
You'll have overall responsibility for directing the design and planning of the projects to assure that consistent application of DLR's standards (project scope and quality) achieves the established budget (heavy emphasis on value-engineering) and schedule objectives set for the projects. In addition, you will serve as project manager on specific projects.
More specifically, you will:
- Direct and oversee DLR Design Managers, professional consultants (architects, engineers) and equipment suppliers.
- Monitor, review, develop and improve DLR's Design & Engineering Guidelines / Standards to assure that standards are up to date with industry best practices and meet DLR's business objectives (heavy emphasis on value-engineering).
- Assure that DLR Design & Engineering Guidelines / Standards are maintained on the DLR Design & Construction Intranet and/or Project Management web site.
- Assume responsibility for ensuring the consistent application of DLR Design & Engineering Guidelines / Standards across the DLR portfolio of projects to maintain cost effective project master planning and turnkey datacenter development.
- Direct the process and development of customized datacenter development projects for build-to-suit customers. This will include detailed development of work letters including program (scope), budget (heavy emphasis on value-engineering) and schedule documents to support DLR leasing activities.
- Assist with maintenance of existing and the development of new vendor relationships (consultants, equipment suppliers) to ensure technically correct and costs effective designs and equipment for DLR projects.
- Assume responsibility for review of monthly project reporting to the VP, Design & Construction to ensure that budget, schedule and scope objectives are being maintained. Responsible for communicating progress to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare and review budgets and forecasts related to anticipated design and construction expenditures.
- Maintain existing vendor (contractors, architects, engineers, consultants, etc.) relationships and develop new vendor relationships to ensure costs effective services for DLR projects
What's in It for YouProfessional development
We'll help you get up to speed and give you more responsibility and autonomy as you prove yourself. No two projects are the same, giving you multiple opportunities to build your skill set. In addition, we are proactive about helping our employees pursue their goals and build a career home with us.
Strong strategic growth
We continue to grow both organically and through acquisition. In fact, Digital Realty has entered into a definitive agreement under which DuPont Fabros will merge with Digital Realty. According to industry analysts, the combined company will be the largest wholesale data-center REIT in the US.
The "best of both worlds"
You'll find that working for our company may be a little bit different. We are small enough, with only 1400 employees across our global portfolio, that your hard work will be visible throughout the organization. Yet our extensive offering of services and solutions, and proven track record of growth, stability and industry-leading innovation, give you the resources and tools you need to take your career to the next level.
Our financial strength and stability provide our customers with the assurance that Digital Realty will be their partner for current data center needs and those in the future, and our investment credit ratings provide us access to paths for more capital. We view each of our customers as a long-term partner.
Green standard for sustainability
At Digital Realty we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, as well as, adopting and building to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements. We are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Pictured: Each of our data campuses is part of the largest ecosystem of world-class US, European, and APAC carriers, hosting physical connection points for the world's telecommunications networks and Internet backbones.
Keys to SuccessWe recognize that there will be a learning curve in this role. Regardless of your background, you should be proactive about learning quickly. Those who excel in the role are well versed at managing designs and the design process, and they also are "jacks of all trades," with knowledge in technical engineering, architecture, electronics, critical infrastructure and more.
On a regular basis you will work with aggressive schedules, high-profile projects and customers with high expectations. You should relish the challenge of providing excellent customer service and delivering projects on time and within budget, all while adhering to our standards.
In addition to working closely with a team of professional contractors and consultants, you'll also have significant interaction with internal departments including Sales, Engineering, Asset Management and the Portfolio group. This will require excellent relationship building and interpersonal communication skills. You'll need a level of political savvy and influencing skills as you work to get everyone on the same page and in compliance with specific guidelines, budgets and standards.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.