The RequirementsWe believe that aptitude and drive are as important as experience. To be a good fit for the Project Manager – Colo Engineering opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- 2 to 3 years of experience with electrical or mechanical engineering for mission-critical infrastructure, in either an internal or consulting / commissioning role -- the broader your experience, the better
- Data center experience is a plus, but we also welcome candidates with experience in critical environments such as airports, hospitals, utilities, etc.
- A high degree of comfort with software systems, ideally including proficiency in network and data technologies (e.g. Modbus TCP/IP, TCP/IP troubleshooting, SQL queries)
- Solid AutoCAD skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) or equivalent
- Self-motivation, drive and willingness to learn
- Solid project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including:
- A professional approach to interacting with customers, vendors and internal teams
- Leadership skills and the ability to influence others
- The disposition to work independently and as a contributing member of a team
- Flexibility with the ability to thrive in a growing and changing environment
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Solid planning, organization and prioritization skills, along with strict attention to detail
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
To meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
Role OverviewNote: this is a high-level overview of the role. To take a deeper dive into the details, see the Role Specifics tab.
Reporting to the Director of Energy Management, you'll join a team of six (internally we call this position Power and Capacity Design Engineer) responsible for electrical design as well as capacity and energy management for every project at Digital Realty facilities across the US. Our team is collaborative and driven, working extensively with other groups within Digital Realty, including operations and sales.
We'll assign you a group of facilities, and your overall mission will be to create power solutions that meet customer needs, satisfy business requirements and provide optimal efficiency. Key activities will include engineering customer power circuits, managing power distribution capacity, and reporting regarding AC and DC power conditioned systems. As part of the fast-growing and high-transaction Colocation Business Model, you will be a key contributor to improve day-to-day internal processes.
You can expect to invest 50% to 75% of your time in project management, including coordinating with vendors and operations. Another 10 % to 15% will go to design and reviewing the designs of MEP firms, and you'll spend the balance of your time in supporting sales, including pulling reports for customers and sales.
Your work will fall into three key areas:
- Supporting other engineers and engineering teams with A/C and D/C electrical circuit designs for customer implementation, including power and cooling capacity management and specific electrical designs to meet each customer's unique needs. This is time-sensitive project work which takes place both after and during the colocation sale.
- Working with Data Center Managers (DCMs), local operations teams and vendors to identify opportunities to enhance efficiencies, implement changes and help drive the project timeline. You should view each facility as a business and position yourself as an expert consultant who can help operations teams achieve business goals. This will include working with DCMs and operations to implement your designs.
- Working closely with Sales Engineers as a subject matter expert (SME). You will step up as part of the pre-sale process, providing potential design solutions to specific requirements. You'll typically get involved with projects whose solutions fall outside of standard designs.
Role SpecificsNote: this is a detailed description of the role. To get the 30,000-foot view, see the Role Overview tab.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Being responsible for data acquisition validation from all power systems
- Accurately designing the most optimal power solution based upon the projected kw usage, and existing power and cooling capacity available in the respective data center suite
- Working with Sales Engineers on alternate solutions and timelines for the customer when power and cooling capacity is not available Day 1
- Interfacing with Sales Engineers and customers to resolve non-standard Power Work Orders; Power Work Orders require accurate documentation of instructions and circuit designs to ensure timely completion of work
- Overseeing distribution capacity for AC and DC power; capacity is managed by KW
- Assisting in the turn up and commissioning of new distribution systems RPP/PDU/BDCBB/BDFB to ensure documentation is accurate across software platforms and engineering files
- Updating Engineering Team and other teams when more power distribution is needed
- Tracking utilization and efficiency of suites, and planning for capital improvement projects driven by sales and site requirements
- Verifying customer-specific terms and applying them to our suite of products
- Updating Engineering Construction Package templates and Method of Procedures (MOP) for all AC and DC power installs and power augments
- Taking responsibility for phase balancing and calculating power cable gauge based on voltage drop
- Creating and maintaining monthly/quarterly reports on power capacity for all sites including commercial power, generator power, UPS power and DC power
What's in It for YouInteresting, impactful work
No two days will be the same and you'll find yourself involved in a variety of projects made interesting by their mix of business and engineering requirements. You'll be able to stretch professionally, add to your skill set, and share your ideas in our tight-knit entrepreneurial environment.
Whatever your background, it's highly likely that you'll learn new things. For one thing, you'll be involved in unique projects requiring creative solutions. In addition, we are dedicated to remaining on the leading edge of technology, so you will learn new systems, tools and processes right along with us.
We're growing rapidly and you'll be in a prime position to grow along with us, taking on expanding responsibilities and new challenges. Depending upon your goals and ambition, you might also pursue other roles within the company.
Growth without limits
We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We now are able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion.
We are a collaborative, people-focused group dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you join us, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support. We strive to promote a friendly, fun and open work environment, and our dedication to this is reflected in the tenure of our employees. People like it here and tend to stay.
Green standard for sustainability
We are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices. Not only do we build to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements, but we also are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, including being a contributing member of The Green Grid.
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision plans; flexible spending plans for multiple purposes; a health savings account; a 401(k) plan with company match and much more.
Video: Each data center campus is different, but this virtual tour of NYC1 will give you an idea of the various systems, services and amenities that make Digital Realty the data center provider of choice worldwide. Like all of our data centers, NYC1 offers premier air-conditioned space, state-of-the-art access control and surveillance systems that comply with or exceed International Telecommunication Union (ITU) industry standards.
Keys to SuccessTo be clear, this position is not focused solely on energy efficiency strategy. You will drive energy efficiency initiatives, but the role is much broader. You'll need motivation and intellectual curiosity to learn as you get up to speed and on an ongoing basis. Your technical knowledge will be essential, but just as important will be interpersonal skills to drive results across projects with multiple internal and external partners. You should bring a collaborative, customer service approach to all your interactions, and you should be able to influence others. In some cases, you may need to be assertive.
While you will serve as an SME and critical team member, you also should bring independent thinking to the role and proactively take ownership of your responsibilities. On a small team it is essential that each person carries their share of the workload and is also willing to help others as needed.
Additionally, to be successful you will:
- Remain flexible and adaptable as our company continues to evolve in an industry marked by rapid change
- Take a positive, upbeat approach to your work -- you will find great attitudes here
- Bring a sense of urgency, completing projects on deadline
- Exhibit a strong work ethic, including a commitment to consistently producing quality work
- Look for potential process improvements, sometimes building processes where they might not exist
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes data centers in global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.