The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this position you must have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Data Center Facilities Engineer II opportunity you also should have:
- Solid experience in mission critical facilities operating / engineering, including experience with mission critical infrastructure (UPS, HVAC, generators, cooling, fire/life safety systems, BMS). Data center experience is strongly preferred, but we also will consider experience in hospitals, nuclear plants, military, etc.).
- Expert, hands-on electrical or mechanical skill and competence in the area of non-expertise (for example, mechanical expertise with electrical competence).
- The ability to:
- Comprehend, analyze and interpret complex project documents, including AutoCAD, Visio and PDF documents.
- Manage projects effectively.
- Develop installation standards and project tracking/management documents.
- Respond effectively, verbally and in writing, to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints.
- Familiarity with BMS or DCIM software as well as MS Office applications.
- A high level of commitment to customer service to both co-workers and clients.
- Electrical, HVAC and / or mechanical licenses.
- Experience writing technical methods of procedure.
- Change management experience.
- Experience with incident reporting.
Pictured: Located in the epicenter of north Dallas' high technology corridor, 1210 Integrity Drive is a 7.73-acre facility in Digital Realty's 69-acre data campus known as Digital Dallas. Electrical service to the park is distributed from a dedicated, privately owned substation capable of delivering up to 100 MW of power. The facility has capacity for more than 240,000 sq. ft. of raised floor area.
The RoleReporting to the Manager, Facility Engineering, you will join a team that includes four other Engineers. Digital Dallas is one of our largest campuses. Primarily you'll work at 1210 Integrity Drive, but you may help out at other facilities on occasion.
In addition to performing rounds and responding to issues that arise, you will support all aspects of overseeing and monitoring the operations of the building, including adjustments to the HVAC, electrical, BMS, emergency generators and fire/life safety systems. This will include maintaining chilled water, air conditioning, ventilating and other mechanical and electrical equipment. Pivotal to your success will be your ability to troubleshoot and repair equipment and systems independently.
More specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring and maintaining all building systems and mission critical facilities equipment and other equipment associated with the raised floor environment including mechanical, electrical, emergency generators, fire/life safety systems and associated equipment.
- Conducting routine, ongoing assessment of the building systems operations.
- Performing tests and rounds, and analyzing data to assure the proper functioning of equipment.
- Performing preventive maintenance on all building equipment.
- Working on building management programs for a mission critical facilities environment.
- Ensuring efficient operation of all building systems.
- Assisting, as necessary, with scheduling of preventive maintenance, contracted maintenance and general maintenance with minimum disruption of building services.
- Coordinating maintenance efforts, as needed, with outside contractors, tenant finish personnel and engineers.
- Maintaining lighting in all areas of the building.
- Ensuring compliance with all safety procedures as well as utilization of protective equipment.
- Maintaining ongoing communication with tenants, owners, property management and vendors.
- Assisting in updating and / or maintaining as-built drawings.
- Responding quickly to emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment failure etc.) and customer concerns.
- Assisting with maintaining inventory control programs / purchasing parts and supplies.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable codes, requisitions, government agencies and company directives as they relate to building operations.
Video: Take a virtual tour of Digital Dallas, including the technology and infrastructure that you will support.
What's in It for YouProfessional development
Your primary focus, of course, will be on the critical infrastructure, but you'll share responsibility for the entire site and most likely you'll gain experience in areas that are new to you, including IT. In addition, we are committed to helping our people grow professionally, including providing training opportunities. You'll work with a seasoned Manager who has a reputation as a strong leader and mentor.
While you could be challenged in this role for years to come, if you're driven to further advance your career, success in this position could set you up for a Lead Engineer role. Your career opportunities will be determined by your talent, goals and success in your role.
Growth without limits
We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We now are able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion.
We are a collaborative, people-focused group dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you join us, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support. We strive to promote a friendly, fun and open work environment, and our dedication to this is reflected in the tenure of our employees. People like it here and tend to stay.
Green standard for sustainability
At Digital Realty we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, as well as, adopting and building to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements. We are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Pictured: Our data centers have leading-edge mission critical systems such as cooling (shown), power, security and more. Each of our data campuses is part of the largest ecosystem of world-class U.S., European, and APAC carriers, hosting physical connection points for the world's telecommunications networks and Internet backbones.
Keys to SuccessTop performers in this role are not defined by the strength in their back, but by the strength between their ears -- they combine knowledge and common sense to know when to push a button and when not to.
They also grasp the important role played by the equipment and infrastructure in this data center, and the critical role played by the data center in our customers' businesses. Billions and even trillions of dollars are transacted over the networks we support. Downtime of even a few minutes can cost millions. Digital Realty has achieved key metrics in uptime, in no small part because of the dedication and passion of our Facilities Engineers. To be successful on this team you'll need to see this as much more than a job -- you'll need to see it as a mission.
It should be clear by now that this is a hands-on role; you'll need much more in your background than experience with rounds and readings. In addition, to be an outstanding Facilities Engineer, you will:
- Achieve goals independently, but also know when to ask for help.
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way of doing business.
- Be willing to dig in to discover the cause of issues, and be creative in solving them.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work.
- Bring a commitment to teamwork.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers" needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.