The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Facility Assistant opportunity, you will have:
- 2+ years of experience in commercial facility management; experience in data centers or other high-reliability environments is preferred
- General mechanical skills
- Basic carpentry skills
- Painting experience
- Rudimentary problem solving skills and technical savvy
- A background in carpentry and general building hardware maintenance (doors, locks, windows, flooring, etc.) is preferred
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Outlook, Word and Excel, is a plus
- Strong written and verbal command of the English language
- Solid organizational skills
- A responsible attitude and strong work ethic
- The ability and willingness to respond to emails after hours in the event of an emergency
Pictured: While you won't focus on the networking side, you will learn about leading-edge telecom/Internet infrastructure, and maintain the mechanical and electrical systems that support that infrastructure.
The RoleAs part of the Data Center Operations Team, you will report to the Property Manager and also take direction from the Electrical and Mechanical Managers. You'll provide leadership and management for day-to-day operations of a large-scale data center, while ensuring the highest levels of reliability and availability are maintained
This is a broad role with important responsibilities. You'll support reliability by monitoring and handling basic maintenance and repair of mechanical, electrical, HVAC and safety/security systems. As necessary you will coordinate with and ensure quality work by contractors. You'll also ensure the facility always looks its best.
More specifically, you will:
- Assist with minor facility modifications
- Assist as a security monitor, including looking for security violations and at times escorting contractors to secured areas
- Assist with shipping/receiving and general loading dock activities and operations
- Perform daily walk through of facility and maintain facility logs in compliance with walk through observations
- Assist managers with obtaining facility related price quotations and bid proposals
- Assist with scheduling repairs and preventative maintenance of general facility equipment and grounds, including but not limited to landscaping, irrigations systems, elevators and lifts, dock levelers, pest control and trash removal
- Assist with cleaning and general maintenance of the facility
- Perform general maintenance tasks, such as light carpentry, light landscaping, changing light bulbs, crating and uncrating equipment, painting, door hardware and adjustments; you'll need to be able to utilize all standard hand tools
- Assist the Infrastructure Managers with the maintenance of HVAC systems, electrical systems, fire extinguishers and other facility equipment
- Maintain work areas in a neat and safe manner
- Organize and file facility documents
Video: While each data center campus is unique, this virtual tour of Digital Ashburn gives you an idea of the amenities that make Digital Realty the data center solution provider of choice around the world.
What's in It for YouImpact role
In many ways you will be the eyes and ears of the Operations Team, identifying areas that need attention. Over time you should be able to recognize potential issues before they become problems, helping us stay ahead of the curve.
As you can see under The Role, you will expand your skills in a variety of areas. Our success depends upon our staying on the leading edge in all aspects of operations, and you'll learn new processes and technologies on an ongoing basis.
Growth without limits
We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We now are able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion.
The hyperscale deployments offered by the data centers you'll support are necessary for cloud and big data applications as well as large, distributed websites maintained by some of the biggest names on the Internet
We are a collaborative, people-focused group dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you join us, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support. We strive to promote a friendly, fun and open work environment, and our dedication to this is reflected in the tenure of our employees. People like it here and tend to stay.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Pictured: Thanks to dedicated Operations Teams, Digital Realty has achieved "five nines" of uptime performance for the eleventh consecutive year. Exceeding 99.999 percent reliability year after year demonstrates our commitment to resiliency and to serving as a true business partner to all our customers.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will bring a strong sense of ownership and the initiative to see what needs to be done and do it. You should be able to achieve goals independently. Help is always available, but if you're the person we're looking for, you understand that working through problems is a great way to learn.
At the same time, you'll need to be a team player, as you will interact with a wide variety of internal and external contacts. We'll look to you to take a customer service approach to those interactions, including actively soliciting feedback to ensure your activities and deliverables meet expectations. In addition, in order to be an outstanding Facility Assistant you will:
- Lead by example in attendance, attitude and technical work product
- Pay close attention to details and also grasp the bigger picture
- Take initiative in digging in to discover the cause of issues, and combine analytical skills and creativity in solving them
- Be flexible and willing to perform tasks and duties expected and unexpected with a pleasant and professional attitude
- Manage multiple tasks and priorities effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.