The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this position you must have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Facilities Engineer II opportunity you also should have:
- Solid experience in at least one of the following trades: Electrical, UPS, HVAC, generators, fire/life safety systems and/or BMS.
- Experience in mission-critical facilities is preferred, and data center experience would be ideal.
- The ability to:
- Comprehend, analyze and interpret complex project documents, including AutoCAD, Visio and PDF documents.
- Manage projects effectively.
- Help develop and maintain installation standards and project tracking/management documents.
- Interact effectively with managers, clients, customers and the general public.
- Experience using MS Office applications (Work, Excel).
- A high level of commitment to customer service to both co-workers and clients.
- A collaborative, team player mentality.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Electrical, HVAC and/or mechanical licenses.
- Experience writing technical methods of procedures (MOPs) and/or standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Change management experience.
- Experience with incident reporting.
The RoleReporting to the Manager, Facility Engineering you will join a talented and growing team of Facilities Engineers (there will be 8 total once we are fully staffed) with varying levels of seniority. The data center at 120 East Van Buren contains over 175,000 square feet of datacenter and telecommunications space within a total of 347,000 square feet. The site is a recognized fiber crossroad on almost every national network backbone and can handle more than 30 megawatts of critical load.
On your assigned shift, you will make rounds and respond to issues that arise, but you also will contribute to all aspects of the oversight and monitoring of building operations, including adjustments to the HVAC, electrical, BMS, emergency generators and fire/life safety systems. You will maintain chilled water, air conditioning, ventilating and other mechanical and electrical equipment. Pivotal to your success will be your ability to troubleshoot and repair equipment and systems independently. You should be eager to expand your skills and take on a variety of duties.
More specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring and maintaining all building systems and mission critical facilities equipment and other equipment associated with the raised floor environment including mechanical, electrical, emergency generators, fire/life safety systems and associated equipment.
- Conducting routine, ongoing assessment of the building systems operations.
- Performing tests and rounds, and analyzing data to assure the proper functioning of equipment.
- Performing preventive maintenance on all building equipment.
- Working on building management programs for a mission-critical facilities environment.
- Ensuring efficient operation of all building systems.
- Assisting, as necessary, with scheduling of preventive maintenance, contracted maintenance and general maintenance with minimum disruption of building services.
- Coordinating maintenance efforts, as needed, with outside contractors, tenant finish personnel and engineers.
- Maintaining lighting in all areas of the building.
- Ensuring compliance with all safety procedures as well as utilization of protective equipment.
- Maintaining ongoing communication with tenants, owners, property management and vendors.
- Assisting in updating and/or maintaining as-built drawings.
- Responding quickly to emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment failure etc.) and customer concerns.
- Assisting with maintaining inventory control programs / purchasing parts and supplies.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable codes, requisitions, government agencies and company directives as they relate to building operations.
Why Digital RealtyProfessional development
In addition to mastering infrastructure areas that are new to you, you will gain exposure to other aspects of our complex data center environment, including IT. We are committed to helping our people grow professionally, including providing training opportunities.
While you could be challenged in this role for years to come, if you're driven to further advance your career, success in this position could set you up for an Engineer III role. In time, you could work up to Lead Engineer if you have the drive and desire.
The "best of both worlds"
You'll find that working for our company may be a little bit different. We are small enough, with only 1400 employees across our global portfolio, that your hard work will be visible throughout the organization, yet our extensive offering of services and solutions and proven track record of growth; stability and industry-leading innovation give you the resources and tools you need to take your career to the next level.
We are a collaborative, people-focused company dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support.
Growth without limits
We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September 2017, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We now are able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion. According to industry analysts, the combined company will be the largest wholesale data-center REIT in the US.
Our financial strength and stability provide our customers with the assurance that Digital Realty will be their partner for current data center needs and those in the future, and our investment credit ratings provide us access to paths for more capital. We view each of our customers as a long-term partner.
Green standard for sustainability
At Digital Realty we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, as well as, adopting and building to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements. We are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will be more than just willing to learn -- you should be enthusiastic and proactive about getting up to speed quickly, and continue to expand your skills on an ongoing basis. You also will need to grasp the important role played by the equipment and infrastructure in the data center, and the critical role played by the data center in our customers' businesses. Billions and even trillions of dollars are transacted over the networks we support. Downtime of even a few minutes can cost millions.
Digital Realty has achieved key metrics in uptime, in no small part because of the dedication and passion of our Facilities Engineers. To be successful on this team, you'll need to see this as much more than a job -- you'll need to see it as a mission.
It should be clear by now that this is a hands-on role. You'll need much more in your background than experience with rounds and readings. A combination of strong technical and communication skills is a must. In addition, to be an outstanding Data Center Facilities Engineer, you will:
- Achieve goals independently, but also know when to ask for help.
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way of doing business.
- Be willing to dig in to discover the cause of issues, and be creative in solving them.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work.
- Bring a commitment to teamwork.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.