The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for Manager of Facility Engineering, you should also have:
- A bachelor's degree; we will consider non-degreed candidates with significant relevant experience
- Significant experience in mission critical facilities and a solid understanding of critical electrical and mechanical systems
- Proven management skills and a track record of success managing staff in critical facilities environments (data center, hospital, nuclear plant, etc.) or in other critical operations situations, such as the military
- The ability to:
- Manage projects effectively
- Develop installation standards and project tracking / management documents
- Respond effectively, verbally or in writing, to sensitive issues, complex inquiries and complaints
- Mentor and coach the team to help them move to the next level of experience and skill
- Make effective presentations and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public
- Knowledge of all applicable laws, rules, codes, regulations and ordinances in performing data / communications and mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) projects
- Experience with autoCAD and MS Office applications and the ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret complex project, autoCAD, Visio and PDF documents
- An Operating Engineers license (SMA) or equivalent is a plus, preferably electrical and / or mechanical
- The ability to be available and contacted 24x7
- A high level of commitment to customer service toward both co-workers and clients.
- A demonstrated ability to:
- Achieve goals established by upper management with a sense of urgency.
- Bring a proactive approach to unusual occurrences.
- Interact effectively with diverse personalities.
- Excellent problem solving skills, including the ability to:
- Analyze and solve problems utilizing the information and resources available to you, including doing research on your own when needed.
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- The ability to work independently to achieve goals.
- Advanced analytical and quantitative skills.
- Good organizational skills, attention to detail and openness to new ideas and procedures
The RoleReporting to the Data Center Manager, you will provide leadership, coaching, support, and mentorship for the Engineering staff, which includes managing a team of Facilities Engineers. The team provides 24x7 coverage.
You’ll invest the largest part of your time in managerial activities such as coordinating the Data Center Operations staff, meeting with customers, processing paperwork, contributing to business cases to support development initiatives, and more. At the same time, you’ll often be "hands on," getting out into the facility to check in with the team, answer questions, solve issues, and complete work yourself when needed. In addition to daily operations, you’ll be involved in a variety of projects, such as ongoing construction.
More specifically, you and/or your staff will:
- Oversee all building systems, critical facilities equipment, and other equipment including fire / life safety, plumbing, mechanical, bonding, innerduct, wire ways and electrical systems, and equipment.
- Plan, implement, coordinate, and supervise all mechanical / electrical operations, maintenance and energy management programs for a critical facilities environment.
- Maintain cost effective and efficient operation of all building systems.
- Manage, direct, and coordinate the activities of contracted personnel or third parties providing services or performing work at this facility.
- Oversee scheduling of preventative maintenance, contracted maintenance and general maintenance with minimum disruption of building services.
- Coordinate the input and output of the preventative maintenance system and review the status on a monthly basis.
- Recommend / implement improvements to the preventative maintenance program on an ongoing basis. This will include devising technical enhancements to improve various aspects of building operations.
- Maintain lighting in all areas of the building.
- Understand the engineering design and operation aspect of each building system.
- Monitor all allocations of building system capabilities to various base building and tenant needs.
- Act as primary technical resource for building engineers, property management, and various Digital Realty groups.
- Evaluate, assign, and monitor the safe work responsibilities and capabilities of employees and contractors; ensure adherence to safety requirements and prescribed procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all safety procedures as well as utilization of protective equipment.
- Coordinate maintenance efforts with outside contractors, tenant finish personnel, and engineers.
- Maintain ongoing communication with tenants, owners, property management, and vendors.
- Coordinate development of and / or maintain as-built drawings.
- Respond quickly to emergency situations (such as fire, evacuation, equipment failures, etc.) and customer concerns.
- Implement and administer inventory control programs, and purchase parts and supplies.
- Ensure compliance with applicable codes, requisitions, government agencies, and Digital Realty directives as they related to building operations.
More Good ReasonsProfessional development
Your primary focus will be on the critical infrastructure, but you'll share responsibility for the entire site and will most likely gain experience in areas that are new to you, including IT. In addition, we are committed to helping our people grow professionally, including providing training opportunities.
While you could be challenged in this role for years to come, if you're driven to further advance your career, success in this position could set you up to move in a variety of directions, such as design and construction, technical operations, property management, or any of the other exciting career paths available to engineers in our wide-ranging company. We have two million feet of data floor and continue to grow. We anticipate ample opportunity in Ashburn.
We are a collaborative, people-focused company dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support.
Growth without limits
We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We now are able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion.
Green standard for sustainability
At Digital Realty we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, as well as, adopting and building to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements. We are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Video: take a tour of Digital Ashburn, strategically located on a 98-acre site in the Dulles technology corridor of Northern Virginia. The property you will support will offer the same state-of-the-art amenities.
Keys to SuccessYou will come in with a strong technical background and a commitment to the job. If you’re the right fit here, you’ll exemplify ownership and lead from the front. You will take a hands-on approach, both to the work itself and to actively developing your team. If you believe you can manage everything from your desk, this role will not be a good fit for you. To excel, you’ll take pride in getting your work done correctly and in a timely way, and your manager should be able to trust you to take care of things without a lot of oversight.
Pivotal to your success will be your ability to manage multiple activities with shifting and competing priorities and high expectations from both internal managers and external customers. You’ll need to be resourceful, finding answers and solving issues before they become problems. You’ll also be a strong communicator, keeping your manager informed, making sure your team knows the plan, and keeping open lines of communication with any vendors or contractors in the work environment.
In addition, our ideal candidate has a positive, ‘glass is half full’ attitude, and helps spread that positive attitude to the team. You’ll also need to have strong people skills, including compassion, and to always practice honesty.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers" needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.