The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for the role of Facilities Engineer you must have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the role you should also have:
- At least 5 years’ experience in mission critical facilities operating / engineering or equivalent equipment experience including assets associated with mission-critical engineering relevant to the specific site (UPS, HVAC, generators, fire/life safety systems).
- Hands-on electrical or mechanical skill and competence in the area of non-expertise (for example, electrical expertise with mechanical competence, or vice-versa).
- Strong knowledge of various UPS systems and architectures.
- Strong knowledge of various cooling systems and architectures.
- Strong understanding of infrastructure redundancy configurations and equipment and their risks (N+1, 2N, ATS/ STS, Failover Scenarios).
- Strong knowledge of energy efficiency principals.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills. Ability to respond effectively, verbally and in writing, to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and familiarity with Microsoft Project, Adobe Acrobat, Visio or AutoCad.
- Basic understanding of emergency situations and escalation processes.
- Strong understanding of Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM), and power metering systems.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills, with demonstrated ability to determine event root causes, performance shortfalls and the required corrective action is desired.
- Lift and handle up to 50 pounds.
- Bend, stoop, and stretch as required for placement and retrieval of network devices, materials, or equipment.
- Work under a raised data center floor.
- Climb ladders (up to 16 feet) to reach plenum spaces.
All candidates chosen for consideration must submit to and pass Digital Realty's background check.
The RoleReporting to the Manager of Facilities Engineering, you will join a talented team including multiple Engineers covering two buildings on the Data Campus in Needham. You will work in both buildings, contributing to daily site operations, including the creation and modification of site operating procedures, change management tickets, providing timely incident reporting, performing site maintenance, repairs and inspections in order to ensure the data centers operate at the highest level of availability.
Each shift, you will make rounds and respond to issues that arise, but you also will contribute to all aspects of overseeing and monitoring the operations of the building, including adjustments to the HVAC, electrical, BMS, emergency generators and fire/life safety systems. You will maintain chilled water, air conditioning, ventilating and other mechanical and electrical equipment. Pivotal to your success will be your ability to troubleshoot and repair equipment and systems independently. You should be eager to expand your skills and take on a variety of duties.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Understand/maintain deep knowledge of:
- The facilities' layouts and operation of MEP systems and be able to illustrate site-specific system one-lines with good accuracy.
- Equipment nomenclature standards and equipment locations.
- Facility drawings and equipment specifications.
- Equipment sequence of operations (SOO’s), standard operating procedures (SOP’s), and emergency operating procedures (EOP’s).
- Customer SLA’s and engineering specific lease obligations critical to data center operations.
- Facilities’ top 20 EOP’s.
- BMS alarm functionality, alarm escalation/acknowledgment, and the ability to extract data and trends.
- DLR event management, event escalation, and incident reporting procedures.
- Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), including the ability to create, edit, implement, and close change management work orders.
- Maintenance and Operations Standards.
- Digital Realty’s Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety standards.
- Gain a complete understanding of and oversee all aspects of data center operations including the operation, maintenance and repair of all mission-critical equipment and systems supporting a 24x7 data center operation to achieve 100% uptime and 100% compliance with all customer SLAs.
- Create/edit/resolve/close incident reports following a site incident.
- Supervise construction activity and installations as required.
- Execute site-specific change management processes including the creation of Method of Procedures (MOPs) for low-risk preventative maintenance and repairs as well as the oversight of PM and repairs as they are carried out.
- Effectively troubleshoot site mechanical and electrical systems.
- Respond to unplanned events without immediate supervision.
- Efficiently complete rounds/inspections and to detect anomalies during those rounds.
- Develop or improve SOPs for site-specific equipment.
- Gain a good understanding and knowledge of the local customers business and data center operation.
- Support various accreditation initiatives, including, but not limited to, SSAE16, SOC2, ISO 27001, etc. as may be required by Digital Realty.
128 1ST AVENUE, Needham, MA 02494
Located near the Route 95 and Route 90 interchange, 128 First Avenue is a three-story, purpose-built, premier data center facility with 30 MW of power and 164,000 sq. ft. of raised floor space. Originally built by a telecom company in 2000, this facility has 13 MW of critical IT load that serves a total of 18 customers who are primarily internet based, financial services, and healthcare-related companies.
105 CABOT STREET, Needham, MA 02494
105 Cabot Street is the second mission critical building of our Needham data center campus. This three-story, purpose-built data center facility totals 130,000 sq ft containing approximately 40,000 sq. ft. of raised floor. With 10 MW of redundant utility power, this high energy efficient building is designed to be concurrently maintainable for all key infrastructure components.
Why Digital RealtyProfessional development -- your primary focus, of course, will be on the critical infrastructure, but you'll be responsible for the entire site and most likely you'll gain experience in areas that are new to you. You will have the unique opportunity to work independently and your contributions will be recognized. In addition, we are committed to helping our people grow professionally, including providing training opportunities.
Career options -- while you could be challenged in this role for years to come, if you're driven to further advance your career, success in this position could set you up for Lead Engineer, then Manager, Facility Engineering. In time you could work up to Data Center Manager! Your career opportunities will be determined by your talent, goals and success in your role.
State-of-the-art equipment -- we are committed to staying on the cutting-edge of our industry. As such, you will be exposed to and work with top technology, keeping your skills polished and current.
Growth without limits -- We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We now are able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion.
Growth market -- you'll not only work with a high-growth company, but you'll also work in a high-growth market. Massachusetts is a thriving market, as evidenced by the strong campus growth. That puts you in an ideal position and location to grow your career.
The "best of both worlds" -- you'll find that working for our company may be a little bit different. We are small enough, with only 1500 employees across our global portfolio, that your hard work will be visible throughout the organization, yet our extensive offering of services and solutions and proven track record of growth; stability and industry-leading innovation give you the resources and tools you need to take your career to the next level.
Green standard for sustainability -- we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers and are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Pictured: each of our data campuses offers state-of-the-art power, cooling, connectivity, and security systems. And each is part of the largest ecosystem of world-class US, European, and APAC carriers, hosting physical connection points for the world's telecommunications networks and Internet backbones.
Keys to SuccessIt should be clear by now that this is a hands-on role; you'll need much more in your background than experience with rounds and readings. We have a very strong team in place here, and we're looking for a proven collaborator and communicator to join this close-knit group. Although you will have the support of a team, it is important to note that you will work independently a lot of the time during your shift.
Your success will be measured through our performance management program, which provides clear and attainable goals throughout the year. To be an outstanding Facilities Engineer III, you will:
- Make strong contributions to the creation/execution/closure/storage of change management tickets, MOPs, and incident reporting
- Maintain internal & external customer communication and relationships are maintained to the highest standardAchieve goals independently, but also know when to ask for help.
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way of doing business.
- Be willing to dig in to discover the cause of issues, and be creative in solving them.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work.
- Bring a commitment to teamwork.
- We achieve Five 9’s of Availability for all data center operations.
- No human error and/or customer impacting events.
- 100% compliance with all customer SLAs.
- 100% compliance to all standard operating procedures.
- 100% compliance with internal escalation protocols for all customer impacting events pursuant to Digital Realty’s escalation standards.
- 100% compliance with all health & safety standards.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.