The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this position you must have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Technician II opportunity, you also should have:
- 3+ years of working experience in a data center / telecom environment (e.g., call center, help desk or Network Operations Center).
- Experience with circuit testing and fiber, copper, DS3, T1, Ethernet.
- TCP/IP knowledge and basic knowledge of routing and troubleshooting.
- Experience with servers, routers, switches, hubs and networking equipment.
- Experience with one or more of the following platforms: Windows, Linux, and/or UNIX.
- Good problem determination/troubleshooting skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Proven interpersonal skills.
- The ability to follow established guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- The ability to work in a time-sensitive, dynamic environment and to adjust to priority changes.
- A commitment to quality and the motivation and ability to work well in a team environment.
- The ability to use hand tools (e.g., wire strippers, scissors, punch down tools).
- The ability to complete assignments requiring lifting or carrying equipment and frequent use of ladders.
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office platform (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.).
- Experience with SONET, ATM and Ethernet.
- Experience with ticketing software and/or CRM systems such as Salesforce.com.
- Familiarity with Aperture software.
- Understanding of network performance management techniques and software.
- Familiarity with network technology, data communications media installation (fiber, coax, copper).
The RoleThe Data Center Services Remote Hands team provides Digital Realty Remote Hands offerings at designated Digital Realty locations. As a Technician on the DCS Team in New York, you will be responsible for installing and troubleshooting circuits and other equipment, tracking service requests from receipt to resolution, answering external and internal inquiries, and assisting with work and projects where their skill set can be of service.
This is a large data center environment which includes a variety of carries and customers, and a core responsibility of our team is to provide cross-connects between two parties. You will spend your time running cross-connects and circuits (fiber, copper, etc.), handling disconnects, and troubleshooting issues a customer may have with their network equipment.
More specifically, your key activities will be to:
- Answer incoming emails/telephone calls.
- Verify access level via the customer access list.
- Unlock and lock customer cages and cabinets.
- Monitor incoming ticket queue.
- Follow the documented procedure for the customer trouble ticket lifecycle.
- Complete customer requests both verbal and written (tickets).
- Generate trouble tickets in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Assist customers as needed (e.g., provide carts, provide approved tools, etc.).
- Perform collocation room inspections as required.
- Escort carrier representatives to the M.P.O.E. and Telco spine as needed.
- Install network media (cross-connects) as needed (e.g., fiber optic, Cat5e and coaxial cable).
- May occasionally install networking gear (e.g., servers, switches, routers, etc.).
- May train other Remote Hands personnel as needed on technical or non-technical matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Why Digital RealtyProfessional development
This is a role where you will gain exposure to many different areas of the data center, including areas that are new to you. In addition, we are committed to helping our people grow professionally, including providing training opportunities. You'll work with a seasoned Manager who has a reputation as a strong leader and mentor.
While you could be challenged in this role for years to come, if you're driven to further advance your career, success in this position could set you up for a Technician II role. In time, you could work up to a leadership position! Your career opportunities will be determined by your talent, goals and success in your role.
You'll help keep this facility running, and the facility helps keep the global economy running. NYC1 is the anchor for a platform we call the "NYC Trifecta," which also includes NYC2 and NYC3 in other parts of the City. These facilities are directly connected to each other and serve Wall Street, NASDAQ and the epicenter of global wealth management in the second largest city economy in the world.
The "best of both worlds"
You'll find that working for our company may be a little bit different. We are small enough, with only 1400 employees across our global portfolio, that your hard work will be visible throughout the organization, yet our extensive offering of services and solutions and proven track record of growth; stability and industry-leading innovation give you the resources and tools you need to take your career to the next level.
We are a collaborative, people-focused company dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support.
Our financial strength and stability provide our customers with the assurance that Digital Realty and Telx will be their partner for current data center needs and those in the future, and our investment credit ratings provide us access to paths for more capital. We view each of our customers as a long-term partner.
Green standard for sustainability
We are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers and are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Video: With the acquisition of Telx, Digital Realty adds robust colocation, strategic network dense connectivity, a vast and open partner ecosystem and unmatched freedom of choice to one of the world's largest data center footprints.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will grasp the important role played by the equipment and infrastructure in this data center, and the critical role played by the data center in our customers' businesses. Billions and even trillions of dollars are transacted over the networks we support. Downtime of even a few minutes can cost millions. Digital Realty has achieved five 9s (99.999%) uptime in each of the last nine years, in no small part because of the dedication and passion of our technicians.
To be successful on this team you'll need to see this as much more than a job -- you'll need to see it as a mission. It should be clear by now that this is a hands-on role; you'll need a foundation of knowledge and we'll provide you with the training and support you need to succeed. In addition, to be an outstanding Technician II, you will:
- Achieve goals independently, but also know when to ask for help.
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way of doing business.
- Be willing to dig in to discover the cause of issues, and be creative in solving them.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work.
- Bring a commitment to teamwork.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers" needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.