The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this position you must have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. This is an essential role supporting a mission-critical facility, so reliability and dependability are essential. In addition, to be a good fit for the Data Center Facilities Engineer II opportunity you also should have:
- 3-5 years’ experience in mission-critical facilities with operating/engineering or equivalent equipment experience including assets associated with mission-critical engineering relevant to the specific site (e.g. UPS, HVAC, generators, fire/life safety systems). We may also consider candidates who have slightly less experience if they have the aptitude, attitude and runway to excel.
- Hands-on electrical or mechanical skill and competence in the area of non-expertise (for example, electrical expertise with mechanical competence, or vice-versa).
- Strong knowledge and understanding of:
- UPS Systems and architectures.
- Infrastructure redundancy configurations and equipment and their risks (e.g. N+1, 2N, ATS/ STS, failover scenarios)
- Energy efficiency principals.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills with the ability to respond effectively both verbally and in writing to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook; familiarity with Microsoft Project, Adobe Acrobat, Visio or AutoCad.
- Basic understanding of emergency situations and escalation processes.
- Strong understanding of Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM), and power metering systems.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills, with demonstrated ability to determine event root causes, performance shortfalls and required corrective actions.
- A team-player approach and high level of commitment to customer service to both co-workers and clients.
- Lift and handle up to 50 pounds.
- Bend, stoop and stretch as required for placement and retrieval of network devices, materials, or equipment.
- Work under a raised data center floor.
- Climb ladders (up to 16 feet) to reach plenum spaces.
The RoleReporting to the Manager, Facilities Engineering for your assigned site, you will join a team that includes either four other engineers or one other engineer. While you'll primarily work at your assigned facility, you may help out at other facilities on occasion.
Daily, you will perform rounds and respond to issues that arise, as well as overseeing and monitoring all aspects of the facility's operations. You will leverage your experience in mission-critical infrastructure, including generators, UPS Systems, HVAC Systems, Fire/Life Safety Systems, BMS systems, and CMMS systems, along with your mechanical and/or electrical skills. Pivotal to your success will be your ability to troubleshoot and repair equipment and systems independently.
More specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring and maintaining all building systems and mission critical facilities equipment and other equipment associated with the raised floor environment including mechanical, electrical, emergency generators, fire/life safety systems and associated equipment.
- Conducting routine, ongoing assessment of the building systems operations.
- Performing tests and rounds, and analyzing data to assure the proper functioning of equipment.
- Performing preventive maintenance on all building equipment.
- Working on building management programs for a mission-critical facilities environment.
- Ensuring the efficient operation of all building systems.
- Assisting, as necessary, with scheduling of preventive maintenance, contracted maintenance and general maintenance with minimum disruption of building services.
- Coordinating maintenance efforts, as needed, with outside contractors, tenant finish personnel and engineers.
- Maintaining lighting in all areas of the building.
- Ensuring compliance with all safety procedures as well as the utilization of protective equipment.
- Maintaining ongoing communication with tenants, owners, property management and vendors.
- Assisting in updating and/or maintaining as-built drawings.
- Responding quickly to emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment failure etc.) and customer concerns.
- Assisting with maintaining inventory control programs/purchasing parts and supplies.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable codes, requisitions, government agencies and company directives as they relate to building operations.
Pictured: The Bryan Street location, Dallas. Bryan Street is the premier internet gateway and carrier facility in the Dallas area. Located in the Central Business District (CBD), the building consists of 26 floors and approximately 477,000 SF of datacenter, PBB and office space. The facility provides connectivity access to over sixty (60) of the leading domestic and international carriers and physical connection points to the world's telecommunications networks and internet backbone.
What's in It for YouProfessional & career development
Your primary focus, of course, will be on the critical infrastructure, but you'll share responsibility for the entire site and most likely you'll gain experience in areas that are new to you. In addition, we are committed to helping our people grow professionally, including providing training and promotional opportunities. From this role, the next step up could be a Facilities Engineer III, though, depending on your skills and experience, you could follow other paths.
Growth without limits
We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We now are able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion.
We are a collaborative, people-focused group dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you join us, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support. We strive to promote a friendly, fun and open work environment, and our dedication to this is reflected in the tenure of our employees. People like it here and tend to stay.
Green standard for sustainability
At Digital Realty we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, as well as, adopting and building to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements. We are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Pictured: Our data centers have leading-edge mission critical systems such as cooling (shown), power, security and more. Each of our data campuses is part of the largest ecosystem of world-class U.S., European, and APAC carriers, hosting physical connection points for the world's telecommunications networks and Internet backbones.
Keys to SuccessTop performers in this role are not defined by the strength in their back, but by the strength between their ears -- they combine knowledge and common sense to know when to push a button and when not to.
They also grasp the important role played by the equipment and infrastructure in this data center, and the critical role played by the data center in our customers' businesses. Billions and even trillions of dollars are transacted over the networks we support. Downtime of even a few minutes can cost millions. Digital Realty has achieved key metrics in uptime, in no small part because of the dedication and passion of our Facilities Engineers. To be successful on this team you'll need to see this as much more than a job -- you'll need to see it as a mission. Reliability, communication, and a sense of urgency will be key.
It should be clear by now that this is a hands-on role; you'll need much more in your background than experience with rounds and readings. In addition, to be an outstanding Data Center Facilities Engineer II, you will:
- Achieve goals independently, but also know when to ask for help.
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way of doing business.
- Be willing to dig in to discover the cause of issues, and be creative in solving them.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work.
- Bring a commitment to teamwork.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers" needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.