The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this position you must have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
To be a good fit for the Data Center Technician II opportunity, you will also have:
- 3+ years of experience in a telecommunications or data center related field; data center experience is highly preferred
- Understanding of:
- Telecom structured cabling standards (fiber and copper)
- Network device deployment
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) standards and operations
- The ability to use industry standard test equipment
- The ability to report to the facility within a 2-hour average for emergency outage assistance, when on-call
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Access, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook) or equivalent
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
- CompTIA A+ / Net + certification
- Knowledge of AC/DC electrical theory
- Building Management System and Branch Circuit Monitoring experience
- Mission-critical data center facility maintenance experience
- Knowledge of Telcordia installation standards
- Strong troubleshooting and root cause analysis skills
- Knowledge and ability with hand tools (e.g. drill, saw, wire strippers, punch down tools, etc.) in an industrial or similar environment
- Professional business communication skills and experience
- Leadership and team experience
- Strong analytical skills
- Effective organizational skills and attention to detail
Pictured: The Bryan Street location, Dallas. Bryan Street is the premier internet gateway and carrier facility in the Dallas area. Located in the Central Business District (CBD), the building consists of 26 floors and approximately 477,000 SF of datacenter, PBB and office space. The facility provides connectivity access to over sixty (60) of the leading domestic and international carriers and physical connection points to the world's telecommunications networks and internet backbone.
The RoleAs Data Center Technician II - Remote Hands, you will be the 5th member of a team of technicians including a Lead, two Tech IIIs, yourself and another Tech II. The team primarily supports the Bryan Street Data Center (pictured in the Requirements section), where you will spend the majority of your time, but also supports a smaller, second nearby location on nights and weekends as needed.
You will be tasked with assisting Digital Realty customers by providing "best in class" technical support including remote hands support, racking and stacking of network devices, cabling, cross-connects, and power. Bryan Street is a large, 9-floor data center with a variety of carriers and customers. You will spend your time in three key areas:
- Performing and tracking remote hands services through a ticketing system
- Performing installations
- Handling the day-to-day maintenance requirements of the Bryan Street facility, as well as supporting the 8345 N. Stemmons Freeway location as needed
- Equipment rack and stack
- Cable, terminate and dress fiber or copper network cabling
- Assist customers with the diagnosis of hardware and software issues on their equipment
- Power cycling of customer equipment
- Perform cabinet/cage audits
- Blade/card, memory, hard drive, and transceiver installations or removal
- Testing and troubleshooting of copper and fiber optic circuits
- Perform migrations of equipment, power, or networking devices
- Ship and receive packages
- Help Security administer badges for internal and external customers
- Receive, install, and test customer and internal cross-connects of copper and fiber optic interconnections
- Provide timely customer and internal updates using a computer-based ticketing system
- Receive, log, and store internal packages
- Perform and document inventory verification/counts
- Perform infrastructure builds including:
- Relay racks
- Ladder racking and basket tray
- Fiber Trough
- Perform DC power installations per Facility Engineering design specifications
- Monitor and report on mechanical HVAC systems
- Monitor and report on critical power systems
- Maintain overall data center cleanliness and appearance
Pictured: each of our data campuses offers state-of-the-art power, cooling, connectivity, and security systems. And each is part of the largest ecosystem of world-class US, European, and APAC carriers, hosting physical connection points for the world's telecommunications networks and Internet backbones.
Why Digital RealtyCareer options
While you could be challenged in this role for years to come, if you're driven to further advance your career, success in this position could set you up to advance along the technician or another path in our global company. In time, you could work up to a leadership position, if desired! Your career opportunities will be determined by your skills, goals and success in your role.
The "best of both worlds"
You'll find that working for our company may be a little bit different. We are small enough, with only 1500 employees across our global portfolio divided into small but powerful teams at each of our sites, that your hard work will be visible. At the same time, our extensive offering of services and solutions and proven track record of growth, stability and industry-leading innovation can provide you the resources and tools you need to take your career to the next level.
We are committed to staying on the cutting-edge of our industry. As such, you will be exposed to and work with top technology, keeping your skills polished and current.
We are a collaborative, people-focused company dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support.
Green standard for sustainability
We are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers and are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive wage and overtime opportunities, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you will grasp the important role played by the equipment and infrastructure in the data centers you support, and the critical role played by the data center in our customers' businesses. Billions of dollars are transacted over the networks we support. Downtime of even a few minutes can cost millions. Digital Realty has achieved five 9s (99.999%) uptime in each of the last nine years, in no small part because of the dedication and passion of our technicians.
To be successful on this team you'll need to see this as much more than a job -- you'll need to see it as a mission. It should be clear by now that this is a hands-on role; you'll need a foundation of knowledge and a commitment to continuous learning. In addition, to be an outstanding Data Center Technician II, you will:
- Achieve goals independently, but also mesh as a strong team member.
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way of doing business.
- Be willing to dig in to discover the cause of issues, and be creative in solving them.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work.
- Bring a strong work ethic and commitment to your responsibilities.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.