The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for this Network Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or another engineering discipline, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of network operations and engineering experience
- 3+ years of architectural design experience in an external, client-facing environment; ideal candidates will have experience in an enterprise and data center environment
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
- A strong understanding of high-level network design and impact across the infrastructure relating to underlying hardware and software selection
- The ability to work independently on complex and unique enterprise engineering projects
- Strong expertise with all of the following:
- BGP, OSPF, MPLS-TP, etc. and related networking protocols
- STP, Virtual LANs and Trunking (802.1q), and how to properly implement these technologies
- Implementation of network security (ACLs, IPSec Tunnels), with the ability to devise and enforce network security policy while balancing the needs of a diverse and dynamic business
- Ability to perform (advanced level) configuration, testing, and troubleshooting of routed IP network infrastructure and long-haul WAN circuits
- Experience with and general knowledge of major hardware vendors and platforms, including Cisco, Juniper, F5, and Palo Alto Networks
- Experience with network protocol analyzers such as tcp dump or Wireshark
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal, and the ability and willingness to work collaboratively with internal and external customers on a daily basis
- Advanced technical certifications (i.e. CCNA, JNCIA, CCNP) desired
Reporting to the Senior Director of Network Engineering, you will join 10 other team members on Digital Realty’s distributed Network Engineering team, responsible for the deployment, operations and support of the Digital Realty network environment, including both internal company networks and customer-facing network-centric products. We have team members across the country, from New York and New Jersey to Atlanta to San Francisco, as well as in various EMEA locations. Just the same, we are still close-knit, supporting each other to ensure our customers are satisfied. Our team’s goals are to maintain oversight and understanding of our existing network, consider current capacity, and look for ways to do things better and more cost effectively.
At a high level, most of your time will be spent on technical work; social, collaborative, cross-functional planning work; and a bit of administrative work, such as to document network design. On a day-to-day basis, you will provide experienced and comprehensive advanced technical expertise for a Data & Transport network and will serve as part of the team to develop and maintain the growing infrastructure. This will include completing scheduled equipment replacements in the most efficient way possible and handling tier 3 / 4 support if needed.
You’ll also engage in a good deal of project work and change management, from evaluating vendors, to evaluating and creating network design, completing documentations, and bringing the design to fruition. You’ll work with the procurement team, organize a plan for deployment, work with field teams and other network engineers, and ensure compliance with policies. Our job ends at migration of new gear and decommissioning of the old equipment.
In support of the above goals, some of your specific tasks will be to:
- Install, configure, and maintain networking equipment, software, and services to support the customer-serving network-centric products and the enterprise WAN & LAN environments.
- Activate and test circuits on routers, switching gear, WDM gear, and other network equipment in new network nodes.
- Serve as Tier 3/4 Support to the technical operations group. Participate in 24/7 on-call support rotation to provide escalation support for network problems.
- Manage, Deploy and maintain Network Monitoring Systems and Change Management Systems.
- Perform site survey, documentation, engineering and deployment for network expansions and new site deployment.
- Create BOMs and Engineering packages for new site builds.
- Provide project management to technical team to coordinate complicated network platform and service deployments.
- Identify new technologies and alternative networking systems to enhance customer experience.
- Identify operational issues and implement design alterations to address these issues.
- Understand technical issues and the implications to the business, and be able to communicate them with other operations departments within the business.
- Perform detailed, post event analysis of unusual events, and direct needed procedure or process changes in response.
- Generate and update documentation on operational procedures, network topology, and customer database.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of current and emerging state-of-the-art computer/network systems technologies, architectures, and products.
- Manage workflow closely with a variety of different level support organizations in the process of providing network support.
Video: While each of our data campuses is unique, this virtual tour of Digital Ashburn gives you an idea of the services and amenities that make Digital Realty the data center solution provider of choice around the world.
More Good ReasonsProfessional development
We operate 205 (and growing) data centers serving more than 32 global markets in 11 countries on 4 continents. You'll work on networks that support corporate infrastructure as well as facility operations, including security, building management, power and more. In addition, you'll gain exposure to both the data center and real estate industries.
We place a strong emphasis on helping people grow, and are committed to promoting from within whenever possible. Success in this role could set you up to pursue a variety of career paths within our organization, particularly as we grow.
Much of our work is cross-functional, and the teams here are all willing to help each other. We have a supportive group in our department, but you’ll find that when we loop people in from other teams they are also very helpful, supportive, and collegial.
Growth without limits
We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September 2017, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We are now able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion.
We are a collaborative, people-focused company dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support.
Green standard for sustainability
At Digital Realty we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, as well as, adopting and building to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements. We are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive salary and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Pictured: From Singapore (top) to San Francisco to Dublin, Digital Realty is about removing limits to global business. Through our seamless, interconnected global network we offer more open data center service choices than anyone, including choices around vendors, service partners, network carriers, configurations and locations.
Keys to SuccessOur ideal candidate has strong technical skills, a process orientation, and is able to own issues and drive them to resolution. We’re looking for a candidate with the experience, professionalism, and communication skills to come in and hit the ground running with our team. The pace is fast and expectations are high, so you’ll also need to be able to work under pressure.
Our work is collaborative, and you’ll find that you have very little ‘heads-down’ time. Instead, you’ll be a technical leader for our network knowledge base, and to be successful you’ll need to be comfortable connecting with people all day, every day. However, in addition to interacting and sharing ideas, you'll need the level of skill and experience to complete the execution steps with very little oversight.
We’ve mentioned the team a number of times, so by now you’ll realize how important teamwork is to our culture. While the team doesn’t always agree – in fact, we often challenge each other, and believe that’s part of what makes the team great – we do not have room for people who aren’t willing to collaborate.
Though we work hard, we also have fun in the process. We enjoy our work for several reasons, one of which is the fact that each of us brings a strong sense of ownership and accountability. You should be willing to pitch in when necessary, even if it’s not strictly part of your job description, just as others will step up when you need help.
In addition, to be an outstanding Network Engineer you will:
- Combine analytical skills and creativity in solving problems
- Pay attention to details while also grasping the big picture
- Translate technical information, when necessary, into language that non-technical people can easily understand
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies and best practices in networking
- Keep a constant eye out for ways to improve processes
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.