The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Technician II, Remote Hands opportunity, you will have:
- 5+ years of experience in a data center or telecommunications, and demonstrated STRONG skills of most of the following:
- Telecom structured cabling standards (fiber and copper) and circuitry, including fiber optic, Ethernet, T1, DS3, etc.
- Network device deployment (routers, switches, etc.).
- DC power installation, including running and terminating into DC plant and BDCBB.
- Cage buildouts, including installing ladder racks, fiber troughs via work order/blueprints, etc.
- Solid troubleshooting and root cause analysis skills.
- A proven ability to use industry standard test equipment.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications; experience with Salesforce is a plus.
- Knowledge of AC electrical theory.
- Building management system and branch circuit monitoring experience.
- Mission-critical data center facility maintenance experience.
- Knowledge of Telcordia installation standards.
- Knowledge and ability with hand tools (e.g. drill, saw, wire strippers, punch down tools, etc.) in an industrial or similar environment.
- Professional business communication skills and experience.
- Leadership and team experience.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Effective organizational skills and attention to detail.
The RoleReporting to the Remote Hands Manager, you will join a team of 12 Technicians (and growing) that assists all Digital Realty customers by providing "best in class" technical support. Key objectives will include:
- Working with and supporting all customer demands including remote hands support, rack and stack of network devices, cabling, terminating, testing, labeling and troubleshooting of copper and fiber optic homeruns, cross-connects, and DC power.
- Responding to Technical Support Requests within the agreed service level agreement time frame.
- Working with the Deployment and Implementation team, the Command Center, Provisioning, Engineering, Operations, Project Management and other teams to ensure all installations meet delivery dates and create a positive customer experience.
- Assisting other members of the Operations Team as necessary to ensure 100% uptime to all customers.
- Equipment rack and stack.
- Pack cable installation -- terminate, test and dress fiber or copper network cabling.
- Assist customers with the diagnosis of hardware and software issues on their equipment.
- Power cycling of customer equipment.
- Perform cabinet/cage audits.
- Blade/card, memory, hard drive, and transceiver installations or removal.
- Strong testing and troubleshooting of copper and fiber optic circuits.
- Perform major migrations of customer/ internal circuits and networking devices.
- Ship and receive packages.
- Receive, install, and test customer and internal cross-connects of copper and fiber optic interconnections.
- Provide timely customer and internal updates using a computer-based ticketing system.
- Receive, log, and store internal packages.
- Perform and document inventory verification/counts.
- Perform infrastructure builds including:
- Relay racks.
- Ladder racking and basket tray.
- Fiber trough.
- Perform DC power installations per Engineering design specifications.
- Monitor and report on critical power systems.
- Maintain overall data center cleanliness and appearance.
More Good ReasonsCareer options
While you could be challenged in this role for years to come, if you're driven to further advance your career, success in this position could set you up to advance along the technician or another path in our global company. In time, you could work up to a leadership position, if desired! Your career opportunities will be determined by your skills, goals and success in your role.
We are a collaborative, people-focused group dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you join us, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support. We strive to promote a friendly, fun and open work environment, and our dedication to this is reflected in the tenure of our employees. People like it here and tend to stay.
We are committed to staying on the cutting-edge of our industry. As such, you will be exposed to and work with top technology, keeping your skills polished and current.
Growth without limits
We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September 2017, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We now are able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion.
In addition to a competitive wage and overtime opportunities, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, tuition reimbursement, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Pictured: From Singapore (top) to San Francisco to Dublin, Digital Realty is about removing limits to global business. Through our seamless, interconnected global network we offer more open data center service choices than anyone, including choices around vendors, service partners, network carriers, configurations and locations.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you will grasp the important role played by the equipment and infrastructure in the data centers you support, and the critical role played by the data center in our customers' businesses. Billions of dollars are transacted over the networks we support. Downtime of even a few minutes can cost millions. Digital Realty has achieved five 9s (99.999%) uptime in each of the last nine years, in no small part because of the dedication and passion of our technicians.
To fit in well with this team you'll need to see this as much more than a job -- you'll need to see it as a mission. It should be clear by now that this is a hands-on role; you'll need the experience to hit the ground running, but you also should be committed to continuous learning. In addition, to be an outstanding Data Center Technician II, you will:
- Achieve goals independently, but also mesh as a strong team member.
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way of doing business.
- Be willing to dig in to discover the cause of issues, and be creative in solving them.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work. Bring a strong work ethic and commitment to your responsibilities.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.