The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Operations System Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or another related field. We'll also consider non-degreed candidates with solid applicable work experience.
- 5+ years of relevant, recent experience supporting the operation and service of installed systems, including building management systems (BMSs), data center infrastructure management systems (DCIMs), electrical power monitoring systems (EPMSs) and other operational systems within data center or mission critical environments.
- A track record of success in partnering with multiple organizations and vendors to deliver, integrate and manage quality operational systems within data center or mission critical environments.
- Knowledge of building environmental controls and alarm systems, including familiarity with BMS systems from Schneider Electric, Automated Logic, Tridium, Siemens or Honeywell.
- Familiarity with data aggregation and communication protocols such as Modbus, BACnet, SNMP, and Web Services.
- The ability to work as a team member, including troubleshooting and routine training/system orientations, across all systems supporting daily operations.
- Experience in the operations, maintenance, engineering, construction, and delivery of mission critical facilities including the commissioning process.
- The ability to analyze and assess problems affecting critical operation of facilities, and propose solutions, at times with limited information.
- Strong IT platform and network knowledge with the ability to communicate effectively with IT professionals and system programmers about technical issues to resolve problems and drive improvements.
- Experience managing relationships with service vendors and technical consultants.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications as well as Project and Visio or similar products.
- The ability to interpret blueprints and schematics as required.
- Proven experience creating and altering BMS graphics in any of the BMS systems listed above.
- Network troubleshooting skills, including routing & switching, using tools such as Wireshark.
- A proven ability to drive internal support teams, including troubleshooting and routine training/system orientations, across all systems supporting daily operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the design and operation of critical MEP infrastructure, including multiple types of uninterruptible power systems (UPSs) emergency power systems (EPSs), water-cooled and air-cooled air conditioning systems, and critical data center electrical and mechanical distribution systems.
- Demonstrated understanding of various redundancy configurations of critical infrastructure and their associated limitations.
- The ability to analyze cyber security threats and determine their possible impact on the company’s installed systems.
- The ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret complex project documents and to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to influence and motivate people across functional lines.
- A strong customer service orientation and proven problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to interact effectively with internal and external audiences, even under pressure.
- Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities – working independently when necessary to deliver results.
Pictured: Digital Realty consistently delivers "five nines" (99.999%) in performance uptime, using state-of-the-art redundant systems for power, cooling, security and more.
The RoleReporting to the Director of Operations Systems, you will join a team that also includes a Senior Operations System Engineer. You'll operate within a team of System Administrators, consultants and project teams to drive system improvements and manage day to day support. You will support operations teams and partner with IT to drive system improvements and operational efficiencies in operations management systems, including BMS, DCIM, EPMS, and Energy Management systems.
You'll invest a good deal of time in managing the support ticket queue. At a strategic level, you will work with Operations leadership to implement the overall vision and roadmap for operations management systems in coordination with IT leadership, ensuring alignment with the company's technical, operational and security objectives.
A sampling of your responsibilities includes:
- Identifying opportunities to improve systems and optimize processes to solve problems.
- Representing operations and coordinating with Design and Construction to receive a fully complete and commissioned product.
- Managing daily system issues and troubleshoot problems when necessary.
- Managing the day-to-day operational aspects of the company’s BMS, DCIM, and alarm monitoring systems – supporting ongoing maintenance, troubleshooting, root cause analysis and post-event customer support.
- Driving continual improvements in BMS, DCIM, and EPMS system functionality in coordination with IT and Operations leadership. This may include representing operations as the customer to any BMS vendor and IT organization.
- Assisting in developing control and alarm system standards throughout the portfolio with a focus on accuracy, comprehensiveness, and continual improvement to ensure 100% uptime.
- Planning, scheduling, and coordinating all activities related to BMS and alarm system field deployments with Operations, IT and Design & Construction. This will include preparing interim project completion reports, as required.
- Completing site level surveys and reviews of existing BMS infrastructure as it relates to legacy or acquired properties.
- Working with IT to manage revisions, code reviews, testing, and other engineering activities.
- Identifying opportunities to drive efficiency and technological improvements to increase productivity, streamline manual processes, reduce costs and increase our competitive advantage.
- And more.
Video: While each of our data centers is unique, this virtual tour of Digital Realty's Needham Datacenter Campus gives you an overview of the services and amenities that make us the data center provider of choice around the world.
More Good ReasonsProfessional development
As you can see under The Role tab, this broad position will provide many learning opportunities, including new technologies. You'll also expand your leadership and project management experience.
Success in this role could set you up to take on additional responsibilities or pursue advancement along multiple career paths in our expanding organization.
Growth without limits
We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September 2017, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We now are able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion.
Green standard for sustainability
We are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers and are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive salary and incentive bonus program, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision plans; flexible spending plans for multiple purposes; a health savings account; a 401(k) plan with company match, and much more.
Pictured: from Dublin (top) to Singapore (bottom), Digital Realty is about removing limits to global business. Through our seamless, interconnected global network we offer more open data center service choices than anyone, including choices around vendors, service partners, network carriers, configurations and locations.
Keys to SuccessYour technical expertise will be essential, of course, but just as important will be interpersonal and leadership skills. You'll interact regularly with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. In some cases, you will manage change or lead projects, and you'll need to be able to influence and motivate others. In addition, as you work with people in other countries, you'll need to be patient in communicating across cultures.
Overall we run lean and in most areas take advantage of external partners. Since the DCIM is proprietary, however, we need the expertise in-house -- a key reason we have created this role. That means you should have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for the DCIM, along with the BMS and other related systems. The position has strategic elements, but you'll also need to be willing to roll up your sleeves to achieve goals. You should take a customer service approach in your interactions with others.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Operations System Engineer, you will:
- Get up to speed quickly on our systems, processes, and technologies, and remain open to learning on an ongoing basis.
- Remain flexible as you manage multiple responsibilities and priorities.
- Pay close attention to details but also understand the big picture and how the details fit into it.
- Keep a constant eye out for opportunities to improve processes.
- Share our commitment to exceptional performance.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers" needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.