The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this position you must have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
To be a good fit for the Data Center Technician II - Remote Hands opportunity, you will also have:
- 3+ years of experience in a telecommunications or data center related field; data center experience is preferred
- Understanding of:
- Telecom structured cabling standards (fiber and copper)
- Network device deployment
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) standards and operations
- The ability to use industry standard test equipment
- The ability to report to the facility within a 2-hour average for emergency outage assistance, when on-call
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Access, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook) or equivalent
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
- Strong troubleshooting and root cause analysis skills
- A valid driver's license
- CompTIA A+ / Net + certification
- Knowledge of AC/DC electrical theory
- Building Management System and Branch Circuit Monitoring experience
- Mission-critical data center facility maintenance experience
- Knowledge of Telcordia installation standards
- Knowledge and ability with hand tools (e.g. drill, saw, wire strippers, punch down tools, etc.) in an industrial or similar environment
- Professional business communication skills and experience
- Leadership and team experience
- Strong analytical skills
- Effective organizational skills and attention to detail
The RoleOpportunity Overview
As Data Center Technician II - Remote Hands, you will be the 5th member of a team of technicians covering our Paul Avenue location 24/7/365. You will primarily support 200 Paul Avenue but could travel to our 365 Main Street location in Oakland on occasion to provide added support. You will work a graveyard shift on Wednesday from 11 PM - 7 AM, Thursday and Friday from 9 PM - 7 AM and Saturday from 7 PM to 7 AM. You may work additional hours to meet demands or cover vacations and other time off. You will initially work the day shift for a few weeks of training and then shadow other techs as needed until you are up to speed.
You will be tasked with assisting Digital Realty customers by providing "best in class" technical support including remote hands, racking and stacking of network devices, cabling, cross-connects, and power. You will spend your time in three key areas:
- Performing and tracking remote hands services through a ticketing system; troubleshooting
- Performing installations
- Handling the day-to-day maintenance requirements for the facility
- Equipment rack and stack
- Cable, terminate and dress fiber or copper network cabling
- Assist customers with the diagnosis of hardware and software issues on their equipment
- Power cycling of customer equipment
- Perform cabinet/cage audits
- Blade/card, memory, hard drive, and transceiver installations or removal
- Testing and troubleshooting of copper and fiber optic circuits
- Perform migrations of equipment, power, or networking devices
- Ship and receive packages
- Help Security administer badges for internal and external customers
- Receive, install, and test customer and internal cross-connects of copper and fiber optic interconnections
- Provide timely customer and internal updates using a computer-based ticketing system
- Receive, log, and store internal packages
- Perform and document inventory verification/counts
- Perform infrastructure builds including:
- Relay racks
- Ladder racking and basket tray
- Fiber Trough
- Perform DC power installations per Facility Engineering design specifications
- Monitor and report on mechanical HVAC systems
- Monitor and report on critical power systems
- Maintain overall data center cleanliness and appearance
Pictured: each of our data campuses offers state-of-the-art power, cooling, connectivity, and security systems. And each is part of the largest ecosystem of world-class US, European, and APAC carriers, hosting physical connection points for the world's telecommunications networks and Internet backbones.
Why Digital RealtyCareer options
While you could be challenged in this role for years to come, if you're driven to further advance your career, success in this position could set you up to advance on the technician or another path in our global company. In time, you could work up to a leadership position, if desired. Your career opportunities will be determined by your skills, goals and success in your role.
We are committed to staying on the cutting-edge of our industry. As such, you will be exposed to and work with top technology, keeping your skills polished and current.
We are a collaborative, people-focused company dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support.
Green standard for sustainability
We are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers and are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive wage and overtime opportunities, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you'd expect such as insurances, multiple flexible spending accounts, and a 401(k) plan, along with some nice surprises, such as a low employee contribution on health insurance, a generous match for the 401(k), a pet insurance offering and more! We think you'll find our benefits meet and exceed your expectations.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you will grasp the important role played by the equipment and infrastructure in the data centers you support, and the critical role played by the data center in our customers' businesses. Billions of dollars are transacted over the networks we support. Downtime of even a few minutes can cost millions. Digital Realty has achieved five 9s (99.999%) uptime in each of the last nine years, in no small part because of the dedication and passion of our technicians.
To be successful on this team you'll need to see this as much more than a job -- you'll need to see it as a mission. It should be clear by now that this is a hands-on role; you'll need a foundation of knowledge and a commitment to continuous learning. In addition, to be an outstanding Data Center Technician II - Remote Hands, you will:
- Achieve goals independently, but also mesh as a strong team member.
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way of doing business.
- Be willing to dig in to discover the cause of issues, and be creative in solving them.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work.
- Bring a strong work ethic and commitment to your responsibilities.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.