The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Data Center Manager – Electrical (internally titled Critical Infrastructure Manager) opportunity, you will also need:
- A strong background in Data Center electrical system operating experience, including:
- A comprehensive knowledge of large scale Data Centers, including state-of-the-art electrical distribution systems, static and rotary UPS, emergency standby generation, fire alarm/suppression and security infrastructures
- A thorough understanding of building monitoring systems (BMS) that assist in the operation and management of the electrical distribution infrastructure; knowledge of ALC WebCTRL is a plus
- Solid experience in facility management or facility engineering for mission critical / high-uptime facilities; data center experience preferred
- A bachelor’s degree or two-year technical degree is preferred; we will also consider non-degreed candidates with relevant vocational training history and/or relevant technical certifications
- Team supervision or management experience; experience working with Union personnel is a plus
- Strong computer skills including experience and familiarity with:
- Microsoft Office Suite applications, including intermediate Excel skills (e.g. formulas, pivot tables, VLOOKUPs, etc.)
- Microsoft Project
- Visio and/or AutoCad preferred
- Advanced written communication and technical writing skills to create documentation, SOPs, etc.
- Solid experience interpreting contract requirements and working closely with critical equipment vendors
- Complex problem-solving skills using analysis, technical and organizational expertise to develop creative innovative solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to create consensus around new ideas and initiatives
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude and the ability to lead by example in attendance, disposition and technical work
- Availability to work extended hours as needed to keep the site running efficiently and manage projects. Typically, you’ll begin your workday with the team around 6:30-7:00 AM
- Availability to be contacted and respond to after-hours emergencies 24/7/365
The RoleRole Overview
Reporting to the Regional Manager of Data Center Operations, you will join the Operations team and provide leadership and management for day-to-day operations for a large-scale Data Center electrical infrastructure. Your mission will be to ensure that the highest levels of reliability and availability are maintained at all times.
Daily, you will leverage your thorough understanding of building monitoring systems that assist in the operation and supervision of the electrical infrastructure, and partner with a peer focused on the mechanical systems. You will work directly with an outsourced union workforce consisting of 4-5 personnel working at the site on break/fix and electrical priorities and preventative maintenance. The team will also interact with mechanical personnel. To set priorities and effectively lead the team, you will regularly interface with the Electrical Foreman who directly manages the union workforce.
You will develop procedures and ensure all systems operate correctly and efficiently, flush out any issues, develop the team and set expectations, and more. Ultimately, you will ensure the operation and performance of the equipment so it effectively meets the capacity and demand of the site at all times. You will also be responsible for managing a budget, obtaining proposals for contract work, handling required documentation as well as getting hands-on with troubleshooting and managing critical issues. Specifically, you and your outsourced union workforce will:
- Schedule, coordinate and participate in all significant planned and emergency maintenance for the facility.
- Ensure all maintenance for the facility is executed using the change control process in a controlled and proven method that ensures uninterrupted integrity of the critical loads supported by these systems.
- Develop operating and maintenance strategies to ensure continuous availability of all critical systems.
- Develop and update preventative and predictive maintenance programs for critical equipment.
- Ensure that work and services performed by outsourced vendors is coordinated and inspected.
- Manage costs and annual budgets associated with the Critical Infrastructure (electrical systems) and associated operations.
- Respond quickly to emergency situations (such as critical system alarms, equipment failures, etc.) and customer concerns.
- Ensure the performance of predictive maintenance and communicate recommendations for operational upgrades and/or resolve operational concerns.
- Ensure compliance with applicable codes, requisitions, government agencies, and Digital Realty directives as they related to electrical building operations.
- Maintain an environment where diligence to policies and proven policy processes are quintessential.
- Ensure best practices and standards are adopted and enforced.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for innovation.
- Establish and cultivate relationships with key contacts internally and externally.
Pictured: Digital Realty consistently delivers "five nines" (99.999%) in performance uptime, using state-of-the-art redundant systems for power, cooling, security and more.
More Good ReasonsProfessional development
You'll work on a world-class campus where your primary focus will be on the electrical infrastructure, but you'll share responsibility for the entire site and will most likely gain experience in areas that are new to you. In addition, we are committed to helping our people grow professionally, including providing training opportunities.
While you could be challenged in this role for years to come, if you're driven further advance your career success in this position could set you up to move in a variety of directions, such as design and construction, technical operations, property management, etc. We have two million feet of data floor and continue to grow. We anticipate ample opportunities for proven performers in Northern VA.
We are a collaborative, people-focused company dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support.
Growth without limits
We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September 2017, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We now are able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion.
Green standard for sustainability
At Digital Realty we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, as well as, adopting and building to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements. We are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive salary and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Video: take a tour of Digital Ashburn, strategically located on a 98-acre site in the Dulles technology corridor of Northern Virginia. The property you will support will offer the same state-of-the-art amenities.
Keys to SuccessYou will come in with a strong technical / electrical background and a commitment to the job. If you’re the right fit here, you’ll exemplify ownership and lead from the front. You will take a hands-on approach, both to the work itself and to actively developing the team -- this isn't a role you can manage from your desk. It will also be critical that you can partner with the Essential Infrastructure Manager (externally, Data Center Manager - Mechanical) for the overall success of the site.
Pivotal to your success will be your ability to manage multiple activities with shifting and competing priorities and high expectations from both internal managers and external customers. You’ll need to be resourceful, finding answers and solving issues before they become problems. You’ll also be a strong communicator, keeping your supervisor informed while working independently to meet your goals.
Additionally, to thrive and excel in the role, you will:
- Bring a positive attitude and model a strong work ethic
- Identify industry trends and articulate implications that will have an impact on the Data Center operation
- Actively solicit feedback to ensure all activities and deliverables meet expectations
- Identify opportunities to increase efficiencies
- Identify and pursue opportunities for innovation
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers" needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.