The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Chief Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- 5+ years of related facility management experience in data center operations (or related large-scale mission critical environments).
- Solid and proven experience in the construction, commissioning, acceptance and operation of mission critical systems, including state-of-the-art electrical distribution systems, static and rotary UPS, HVAC systems, chillers, emergency standby generation, fire alarm/suppression and monitoring systems.
- Strong understanding of infrastructure redundancy configurations and equipment and their risks (N+1, 2N, ATS/STS, failover scenarios).
- Proficiency in reading/understanding MEP drawings.
- Experience assisting with budget management and expense analysis.
- Experience interacting with third-party vendors.
- Strong knowledge of PLC theory and functionality.
- Strong knowledge of energy efficiency principals and the ability to recommend energy efficiency improvements.
- Basic understanding of emergency situations and escalation processes.
- Strong understanding of computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS), data center infrastructure management (DCIM), and power metering systems.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
- Leadership qualities.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to determine and address root causes.
- Solid interpersonal, presentation and communication abilities.
- A detail orientation and strong organizational skills.
- Experience managing data center operations teams. At minimum you should have experience in lead roles.
- Knowledge of structured cabling systems, networking and connectivity standards, and hardware installation requirements.
- Proficiency in colocation operations, including the installation and deployment of cage, rack and cable infrastructure, as well as power circuit installation and power monitoring.
- Experience with AutoCAD, Adobe Acrobat, ServiceNow, MS Project and/or Visio is a plus.
- A bachelor’s degree in electrical or mechanical engineering.
This is a hands-on leadership role, and you'll need to be able to lift and handle up to 50 pounds, work under raised data center floors, and climb ladders up to 16 feet.
The RoleYou will report to the Data Center Manager, and internally your title will be Manager, Facility Engineering. Reporting to you will be a team of Facility Engineers. You'll be the technical lead for all data center engineering operations at this property, and will be responsible for the review, approval and implementation of SOPs/MOPs/EOPs for the site and the proper implementation and training of these procedures.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Working in conjunction with the site remote hands, security, and janitorial teams.
- Assuming accountability for the coordination and completion of all significant planned and emergency maintenance events for the facility, and confirming these activities are executed in a controlled and proven method to ensure the reliability of the critical loads supported by these systems.
- Identifying, evaluating, and executing operational strategies with the local site engineers to achieve the highest level of availability.
- Execute all aspects of data center engineering including the operation, maintenance and repair of all mission critical equipment and systems supporting a 24x7 data center operation to achieve 100% uptime and 100% compliance with all customer SLAs.
- Supervise all MEP construction activity and installations, in coordination with internal and external construction resources, to ensure system design, installation and testing adhere to operational standards. Witness testing of all equipment during commissioning and validate sequence of operations and receipt of all operational documentation.
- Develop and supervise the engineering team to ensure adherence to standard operating procedures, sequence of operations and maintenance standards to guarantee execution of Digital Realty’s periodic maintenance program and maintenance calendar and to ensure labor cost are closely monitored and controlled, and personnel efficiency is enforced.
- Act as executor in the site-specific change management processes including the creation and review of all method of procedures (MOPs) for all risk level maintenance and repairs including high risk and non-standard procedures as well as the oversight of those maintenances.
- Act as executor of walk-throughs for high risk critical transferring and to act as a resource for staff questions/confusion regarding any facility related issue.
- Troubleshoot site mechanical and electrical systems.
- And more.
Video: take a tour of Digital Ashburn. Strategically located on a 98-acre site in the Dulles technology corridor of Northern Virginia, this property is the latest data center on the Digital Ashburn Campus supporting both Turn-key FlexTM and custom Powered Base Building configurations. The campus is located 10 minutes from Washington Dulles International Airport and adjacent to the future Metro rail station.
More Good ReasonsProfessional development
This may be your chance to add management to your résumé, and the role is broad, meaning you'll gain exposure to a wide variety of processes and leading-edge technologies. In addition, we are committed to helping our people grow professionally, including providing training opportunities.
While you could be challenged in this role for years to come, if you're driven to further advance your career, success in this position could set you up to move in a variety of directions, such as design and construction, technical operations, property management, or other areas.
We are a collaborative, people-focused company dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support.
Growth without limits
We merged with DuPont Fabros Technology (DFT), effective in September, accelerating our commitment to provide the most comprehensive set of data center solutions and expertise in the market. We now are able to support deployments ranging from single-cabinet colocation and interconnection to multi-megawatt to hyperscale. The combined company has an equity market cap of approximately $27 billion, and a total enterprise value of over $35 billion.
Green standard for sustainability
At Digital Realty we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers, as well as, adopting and building to LEED and BREEAM certification requirements. We are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Pictured: From Singapore (top) to San Francisco to Dublin, Digital Realty is about removing limits to global business. Through our seamless, interconnected global network we offer more open data center service choices than anyone, including choices around vendors, service partners, network carriers, configurations and locations.
Keys to SuccessInitially your technical knowledge will be more important than management experience, but you should be proactive about enhancing your leadership skills. You'll have support when you need it, but we're looking for a professional who takes pride in achieving goals autonomously.
You also should take a shot at troubleshooting and repairs rather than using 3rd party vendors as a first option. You and your team will have a good deal of knowledge and experience to draw from. In addition, you should see new challenges as opportunities for you and your team to learn.
To excel in this role, you will grasp the important role played by the equipment and infrastructure in the data center, and the critical role played by the data center in our customers' businesses. Billions of dollars are transacted over the networks we support. Downtime of even a few minutes can cost millions. Digital Realty has achieved five 9s (99.999%) uptime in each of the last nine years, in no small part because of the dedication and passion of our engineers and technicians. We'll look to you to share our commitment to exceptional performance.
About UsGlobally delivering the Right Workload, in the Right Place, at the Right Value℠.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Digital Realty is uniquely positioned to provide a complete range of data center solutions on a global scale that best fit our customers' needs. We can connect them to the cloud and their critical partners on an open platform that includes 156 data centers in 33 global markets on 4 continents.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day -- above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.