The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this position you must have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Data Center Facilities Engineer opportunity you also should have:
- Solid experience in mission critical facilities operating / engineering, including experience with mission critical infrastructure (UPS, HVAC, generators, cooling, fire/life safety systems, BMS). Data center experience is strongly preferred, but we also will consider experience in hospitals, nuclear plants, military, etc.).*
- Expert, hands-on electrical or mechanical skill and competence in the area of non-expertise (for example, electrical expertise with mechanical competence, or vice-versa).
- The ability to:
- Comprehend, analyze and interpret complex project documents, including AutoCAD, Visio and PDF documents.
- Manage projects effectively.
- Develop installation standards and project tracking/management documents.
- Respond effectively, verbally and in writing, to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints.
- Familiarity with MS Office applications.
- A high level of commitment to customer service to both co-workers and clients.
- A collaborative, team player mentality.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with managers, clients, customers and the general public.
- Electrical, HVAC and / or mechanical licenses.
- Experience writing technical methods of procedure.
- Change management experience.
- Experience with incident reporting.
We'll look to you to be flexible in your schedule, as Facilities Engineering provides 24x7x365 for this location. You should be prepared to the second or third shift, including weekends and holidays. You'll know your schedule in advance, but it may change from week to week. As we staff up your schedule may become more regular. There will be plenty of overtime available, and we typically offer it to volunteers before assigning it.
The RoleReporting to the Facilities Engineering Manager, you will join a team that includes a Manager and 9 other Engineers. You'll support our location at 111 8th Avenue. Power capacities include UPS, Generators, utility power and DC. We employ large scale cooling systems, both evaporative and dry. All systems, of course, have redundancy.
In addition to performing rounds and responding to issues that arise, you will support all aspects of overseeing and monitoring the operations of the building, including adjustments to the HVAC, electrical, BMS, emergency generators and fire/life safety systems. You will maintain chilled water, air conditioning, ventilating and other mechanical and electrical equipment. Pivotal to your success will be your ability to troubleshoot and repair equipment and systems independently. You should be eager to expand your skills and take on a variety of duties.
More specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring and maintaining all building systems and mission critical facilities equipment and other equipment associated with the raised floor environment including mechanical, electrical, emergency generators, fire/life safety systems and associated equipment,
- Conducting routine, ongoing assessment of the building systems operations,
- Performing tests and rounds, and analyzing data to assure the proper functioning of equipment,
- Performing preventive maintenance on all building equipment,
- Working on building management programs for a mission critical facilities environment,
- Ensuring efficient operation of all building systems,
- Assisting, as necessary, with scheduling of preventive maintenance, contracted maintenance and general maintenance with minimum disruption of building services. Coordinating maintenance efforts, as needed, with outside contractors, tenant finish personnel and engineers,
- Maintaining lighting in all areas of the building,
- Ensuring compliance with all safety procedures as well as utilization of protective equipment,
- Maintaining ongoing communication with tenants, owners, property management and vendors,
- Assisting in updating and / or maintaining as-built drawings,
- Responding quickly to emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment failure etc.) and customer concerns,
- Assisting with maintaining inventory control programs / purchasing parts and supplies,
- Ensuring compliance with applicable codes, requisitions, government agencies and Digital directives as they relate to building operations.
More Good ReasonsProfessional development
Your primary focus, of course, will be on the critical infrastructure, but you'll share responsibility for the entire site and most likely you'll gain experience in areas that are new to you, including IT. In addition, we are committed to helping our people grow professionally, including providing training opportunities. You'll work with a seasoned Data Center Manager who has a reputation as a strong leader and mentor.
While you could be challenged in this role for years to come, if you're driven to further advance your career, success in this position could set you up for an Assistant Chief Engineer and then Chief Engineer role. In time you could work up to Data Center Manager! Your career opportunities will be determined by your talent, goals and success in your role.
You'll help keep this facility running, and the facility helps keep the global economy running. NYC1 is the anchor for a platform we call the "NYC Trifecta," which also includes NYC2 and NYC3 in other parts of the City. These facilities are directly connected to each other and serve Wall Street, NASDAQ and the epicenter of global wealth management in the second largest city economy in the world.
The "best of both worlds"
You'll find that working for our company may be a little bit different. We are small enough, with only 1400 employees across our global portfolio, that your hard work will be visible throughout the organization, yet our extensive offering of services and solutions and proven track record of growth; stability and industry-leading innovation give you the resources and tools you need to take your career to the next level.
We are a collaborative, people-focused company dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support.
Our financial strength and stability provide our customers with the assurance that Digital Realty and Telx will be their partner for current data center needs and those in the future, and our investment credit ratings provide us access to paths for more capital. We view each of our customers as a long-term partner.
Green standard for sustainability
We are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers and are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
In addition to a competitive wage and discretionary bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, like multiple flexible spending plans, a generous company match on the 401(k) plan, and more.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will grasp the important role played by the equipment and infrastructure in this data center, and the critical role played by the data center in our customers' businesses. Billions and even trillions of dollars are transacted over the networks we support. Downtime of even a few minutes can cost millions. Digital Realty has achieved five 9s (99.999%) uptime in each of the last nine years, in no small part because of the dedication and passion of our Facilities Engineers. To be successful on this team you'll need to see this as much more than a job -- you'll need to see it as a mission.
There's a variety of different equipment and systems here and it all requires TLC to keep it humming like clockwork. It should be clear by now that this is a hands-on role; you'll need much more in your background than experience with rounds and readings. In addition, to be an outstanding Data Center Facilities Engineer, you will:
- Achieve goals independently, but also know when to ask for help.
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way of doing business.
- Be willing to dig in to discover the cause of issues, and be creative in solving them.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work.
- Bring a commitment to teamwork.