More About the Requirements
In addition to the basics described under The Requirements
tab, you will also need:
More About the Role
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills; ability to respond effectively, verbally and in writing to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints
- Strong organizational skills and detail orientation
- Physical ability to make rounds in the 3rd largest building in NYC (daily rounds can take 6 hours)
- Proficiency in Microsoft programs, particularly Word, Excel and Outlook
- Strong understanding of Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM), and power metering systems preferred
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills, with demonstrated ability to determine event root causes, performance shortfalls and required corrective actions preferred
- Trade school is preferred
In addition to the responsibilities described in The Role
tab, your specific responsibilities will include:
More About Your Success
- Monitoring and maintaining all building systems and mission-critical facilities equipment and other equipment associated with the data center environment including mechanical, electrical, emergency generators, fire/life safety systems and associated equipment.
- Conducting routine, ongoing assessment of the building systems operations.
- Performing tests and rounds, and analyzing data to assure the proper functioning of equipment.
- Performing preventive maintenance on all building equipment.
- Working on building management programs for a mission-critical facilities environment.
- Ensuring efficient operation of all building systems.
- Assisting, as necessary, with scheduling of preventive maintenance, contracted maintenance and general maintenance with minimum disruption of building services. Coordinating maintenance efforts, as needed, with outside contractors, tenant finish personnel and engineers.
- Maintaining lighting in all areas of the building.
- Ensuring compliance with all safety procedures as well as utilization of protective equipment.
- Maintaining ongoing communication with tenants, owners, property management and vendors.
- Assisting in updating and/or maintaining as-built drawings.
- Responding quickly to emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment failure, etc.) and customer concerns.
- Assisting with maintaining inventory control programs / purchasing parts and supplies.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable codes, requisitions, government agencies and Digital directives as they relate to building operations.
Depending on your background, there may be a lot to learn. We'll help you, of course, but you also should be proactive about getting up to speed quickly. Even if your knowledge is broad and deep, you should be open to learning on an ongoing basis -- no one knows it all.
To excel in this position you will grasp the important role played by the equipment and infrastructure in this data center, and the critical role played by the data center in our customers' businesses. To be successful on this team, you'll need to see this as much more than a job -- you'll need to see it as a mission. In addition to your technical abilities, you'll be a strong team player and go-getter who is reliable, flexible and adaptable. In addition, to be an outstanding Mission Critical Engineer I, you will:
Pictured: You'll be assigned to one of our state-of-the-art, NYC data centers including 111 8th Avenue, the 3rd largest building in New York.
- Achieve goals independently, but also know when to ask for help
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way of doing business
- Be willing to dig in to discover the cause of issues, and be creative in solving them
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work
- Bring a commitment to teamwork