Within the last 5 years, what role did the following play in your job:
Assist with scheduling repairs and preventative maintenance of general facility equipment and grounds, including but not limited to landscaping, irrigation systems, elevators and lifts, dock levelers, pest control and trash removal
Do you possess a minimum of 2 years of commercial facility maintenance experience?
Within the last 5 years, what role did the following play in your job:
Perform maintenance tasks that include light carpentry, light landscaping, changing light bulbs, crating and uncrating equipment, painting, shipping and receiving
My level of proficiency with MS Office is:
IL - Franklin Park
Top reasons to consider joining the Property Operations Team at Digital Realty.
Enjoy a Mix of Responsibilities Including Hands-On Repairs and Vendor Relations
You combine at least two years of commercial facility management experience with solid maintenance and repair skills including general mechanical, light carpentry, painting, etc. Additionally, you have strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with internal and external contacts from vendors and service providers to team members and customers. If that describes you, we invite you to apply for the role of Facility Assistant with Digital Realty. Here's why:
- While experience in high-reliability facilities is preferred, this could be your opportunity to learn mission-critical data center operations.
- You won't be bored. This is an important, diverse role that includes responsibilities such as coordinating with vendors, shipping & receiving, monthly reporting, light maintenance and more. Quick question for you - click here
- In addition to a competitive wage and bonus potential, we offer comprehensive benefits.
- You'll become part of an exciting, expanding industry; Digital Realty is a world leader in supporting the phenomenal growth of the Internet, cloud deployments, etc., and you'll work with some well-known clients.
- While you could be happy in this role for years to come, broad exposure means that once you've proven yourself in the role, you might set your sights on career opportunities on the real estate or the technical sides of the business. Note: Additional skills and/or education may be required for promotional opportunities.
This is a full-time, non-union role. Typically, you'll work Monday - Friday from 8:30 AM to 5 PM.
Digital Realty: Where the cloud lives and business thrives
. We built the global standard for technical real estate, developing a unique capability to acquire, manage, and scale data center campuses. Now, Digital Realty is building a unique ecosystem of open solutions that power customer growth through exceptional service on a foundation of unrivaled data center expertise. The new Digital Realty combines unparalleled data center services, carrier-dense interconnection, real estate acumen, and financial strength to create a unique power of choice and value when and where our customers need it.
Pictured: The Digital Franklin Park Campus is a 40-acre master planned campus in the Chicago suburb of Franklin Park. It consists of three buildings, totaling over 500,000 square feet of space.
Make Your Mark at a Global Industry Leader in a New Facilities Operations Support Role
Find out if your talent is a fit for this role.
To be a good fit for the Facility Assistant position, you will have:
- 2+ years of experience in commercial building management; experience in data centers or other high-reliability environments is preferred Quick question for you - click here
- Background in basic carpentry and general building hardware maintenance (doors, locks, windows, flooring, etc.) preferred
- Painting experience
- General mechanical skills Quick question for you - click here
- Solid computer skills to work with our ticketing system; working knowledge with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Outlook, Word and Excel
- The ability to provide routine reports to a variety of key contacts Quick question for you - click here
- Experience with vendor management, scheduling and coordination
Just as important will be the following competencies and characteristics:
All candidates chosen for consideration must submit to and pass Digital Realty's background check.
- Strong written and verbal command of the English language
- Solid organizational skills
- Basic problem-solving skills and technical savvy
- A responsible attitude and strong work ethic; willing to work extended hours as required
- The ability and willingness to respond to emails after hours in the event of an emergency
If you meet the minimum qualifications, feel free to apply at any time. Read below for more details about the position.
Reporting to the Real Estate Manager, you will join the Property Operations team, including your supervisor, an Assistant Real Estate Manager and Property Assistant, and be responsible for providing facility operations support for the Franklin Park campus. This is a broad role with important facility-focused responsibilities. You will leverage our web-based ticketing system to drive your workflow, and support the facility's reliability by assisting with basic maintenance and repair of various mechanical systems, locks, minor leaks, oversight of the grounds, including irrigation and snow removal, and more. You will coordinate with and ensure quality work by contractors / vendors, and ensure that the campus and buildings always look their best.
More specifically, you will:
Note: This description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
- Assist with minor facility modifications
- Assist as a security monitor, including looking for security violations and at times escorting contractors to secured areas
- Assist with shipping/receiving and general loading dock activities and operations
- Perform daily walkthroughs of the facilities and maintain facility logs in compliance with walkthrough observations
- Assist managers with obtaining facility-related price quotations and bid proposals
- Escort customers to various locations within the data center
- Assist with scheduling repairs and preventative maintenance of general facility equipment and grounds, including but not limited to, landscaping, irrigation systems, elevators and lifts, dock levelers, pest control and trash removal
- Assist with cleaning and general maintenance of the facility
- Perform general maintenance tasks, such as light carpentry, light landscaping, changing light bulbs, crating and uncrating equipment, painting, door hardware and adjustments; you'll need to be able to utilize all standard hand tools
- Assist with fire extinguishers and other facility equipment
- Maintain inventory of administrative and break room supplies, alerting management when reorders are needed
- Routinely perform a visual roof inspection to identify leaks
- Providing basic maintenance reports
- Maintain work areas in a neat and safe manner
- Organize and file facility documents
Pictured: Interior, Franklin Park campus.
Road to Success
Explore ways to thrive and excel in this role.
To excel in this role you will bring a strong sense of ownership and the initiative to see what needs to be done and do it. You should be able to achieve goals independently. Support is always available, but if you're the person we're looking for, you understand that working through problems is a great way to learn and enjoy working autonomously.
At the same time, you'll need to be a team player, as you will interact with a wide variety of internal and external contacts. You'll take a customer service approach to those interactions, and meet your responsibilities in a timely manner. In addition, in order to be an outstanding Facility Assistant, you will:
- Pay keen attention to detail while also grasping the bigger picture
- Take initiative in digging in to discover the cause of issues, and combine analytical skills and creativity in solving them
- Be flexible and willing to perform tasks and duties expected and unexpected with a pleasant and professional attitude
- Manage multiple tasks and priorities effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.